4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 9:51 AM by ghramsey

DQ965GF powers on then off - after PS power switch on

ghramsey

I have a DQ965GF mainboard with a P4 630 processor with a strange issue.

BIOS version is C096510J.86A.6094.2009.1239 which I think is the latest version from last year.

When I switch the power switch from the PS on or plug in a power cord with the power switch in the 'ON position' the board

powers on for about 10-20 seconds then shuts down again.

The PS, CPU and case fans spin as well as the CDR and HDD (which worries me), but it doesn't get to the POST screen with the

rotating post code in the right corner before cutting back off.

If I press the front panel button after it shuts down it powers on normally and there are zero other issues.   It boots to Windows or Linux without any issues and no hangs or problems even in Windows.  I've used this computer as an experment platform for several different operating system hence the different OS.

I have the BIOS setting under Power>After Power Failure to "STAY OFF" so it shouldn't be powering on from a cold start like this. 

It doesn't do this if the board has been shut down from software(Windows or Linux) or the holding the front panel button.

Power Supply is a 550W ATX (I think it's a Cool Master).   It has done this with several different power supplies including a the one I use in my main computer  though so it's not PS dependant.    It's not the memory which I've changed around and with different sticks of different brand/sizes/speeds.

I am using the onboard sound and video so it's not that either.  The only things plugged in most time is the HDD and CDR both of which are using the EIDE channels not SATA.

I've found another thread (cannot find it again) where another Intel board was doing this and the person was told it's normal, but what I'm more concerned is my HDD and CDR drive.  The power on is not long enough for the HDD motor to come up all the way to speed and the power kicks off again.

The issue happens with or without the front panel connectors for the power switch attached to the computer.  I've plugged in the power cable or switch on the PS without plugging in the front panel lights and switches and the issues still occurs.

Is this really normal as the other thread suggests or is there somethig else afoot?   Also, if it IS normal is my HDD going to be damaged by suddenly losing power whilst spinning up each time I pull the plug, switch the PS off, or have a power failure?

This board is a throw away really due to it being older now, but if I can fix this problem I have use for it.

If anyone has a fix for this problem please let me know.   I have searched this forum, but the issue is not being found by the search function and I'm getting a zillion irrelevent hits or none at all.

*edit* - I found a work around. I changed the BIOS Power>After Power Failure to Power On and the issue went away it's is being caused by that setting.

Is there a way to make this setting behave properly?  My solution is not really a solution it's only a work around.

*end edit*

• 1. Re: DQ965GF powers on then off - after PS power switch on
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

I have the same board being used as a media server and it does exactly the same thing, i think it is considered a "feature" theoretically as far as i know intel would consider this normal as the pc should ,again "in theory" not be disconnected from the power....

• 2. Re: DQ965GF powers on then off - after PS power switch on

Cpt.Dogfruit wrote:

Hi,

I have the same board being used as a media server and it does exactly the same thing, i think it is considered a "feature" theoretically as far as i know intel would consider this normal as the pc should ,again "in theory" not be disconnected from the power....

Thanks for the info.  I wish there was a fix for this "feature" to go away and merely stay off when set that way in the BIOS.

Have you had and HDD issues from the sudden power loss while it's spinning up?  Or do you set the power failure setting to power on like me and leave it?

That's what my highest concern is right now.  I had planned to donate this board and some associated hardware to my Home Owners Association which has

recently become self-managed.  We need a dedicated computer to keep our financials and other records on.  I don't like the idea that the issue could

destroy the drive.

I still find it hard to believe this is not a defect.  I can see the fans spinning for a short moment when standby power is applied, but this is 10-20 seconds.

Thanks again,

Henry

• 3. Re: DQ965GF powers on then off - after PS power switch on
              Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

I can't say i have had any problems at all with the HDD has been running for at least 10 months like it. It's because this board is a VPRO board and has something to do with the whole manageability of the system, so no it doesnt count as a fault unforutnately. You could just leave it plugged in all the time, although i know this isn't ideal....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DQ965GF powers on then off - after PS power switch on
                ghramsey

Cpt.Dogfruit wrote:

Hi,

I can't say i have had any problems at all with the HDD has been running for at least 10 months like it. It's because this board is a VPRO board and has something to do with the whole manageability of the system, so no it doesnt count as a fault unforutnately. You could just leave it plugged in all the time, although i know this isn't ideal....

Well yeah I know I can, but whilst I'm testing the system with memory changes,network cards, etc and such I have to power off fully to remove the standby power.

This activates the 'feature' unless I have the thing set to 'stay on' in which case it comes on immediatly upon switching on the PS or plugging in the power cord if

the PS switch is on.

Being on all the time is relative since I'm in Houston and we have occasional brown outs that happen at least once every two months or so. 

This is where the power failure 'stay off' function is necessary since the brown out might happen two or three times in a few minutes.  You can see what I

mean about my HDD being a concern.  I've had failures in the past from rapid switching the computer on and off due to a stuck front power switch and the

BIOS set to immediate off so it went off, came on and went off again which killed the motor.  This is not quite as bad, but almost if a brown out were to occur

two or three times in a row.

I know I could use a UPS, but in my experience the batteries in the consumer grade units go bad too fast.   I guess if I'm going to use this board I need one anyway.