2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 9:59 AM by Madsen

S3200SH Motherboard questions

I have a 1530hsh server with the above mentioned board and have a few questions. (Board is running latest bios)

I am currently running it with a raid5 consisting of 3 250GB harddrives giving me 500GB of storage capacity.

Wanting to expand this i was thinking about buying 3 pcs of 2TB drives giving me a total of 4TB storage capacity.

But....I have read alot about problems with drive capacity above 2TB and found out that it seems like i need a motherboard with a bios that support it and an OS supporting it. At the same time i am going to upgrade from server 2003 to server 2008 R2 and it seems that 2008 R2 supports the file format (GPT) that is needed so the only real question is .

Does the Raid controller on the motherboard support making a 4TB Raid5 array out of 3 2TB discs ?

• 1. Re: S3200SH Motherboard questions

I believe you're using Intel Matrix Storage. The answer to your question will be Yes and No. Yes you can have an array grater than 2TB, but it will be data volume only, meaning you won't be able to boot from it. It is documented here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031158.htm. The reason is that to boot from a GPT disk (only GPT disks support volume > 2TB), the firmware needs to support EFI boot, which is not currently available with Intel Matrix Storage.

The workaround is to create a small RAID volume (like 100GB), make it a MBR disk, and install your OS on it. Then create a second RAID volume using the remaining capacity (GPT) to store your data.

If you really need to boot from a GPT disk you may need a hardware RAID controller. there is a step-by-step instruction here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031158.htm

• 2. Re: S3200SH Motherboard questions

Thanks for the answer...

Do you know if intel is planning on adding this efi feature in the future to this product or is this something that will be restricted to "new" products. ?

My solution will be to opt for 3 pcs 1TB drives instead and making a 2TB raid 5 array. This is actually enough and i dont fancy fiddling around with multi partitions on RAID or buying extra raid controllers.