6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 8:45 AM by dface

S3420GPV ram issue

I have a S3420GPV (PBA E80883-106 and should be with bios 42)  with Core i3 I3-530 and this single stick of ram: KVR1066D3N7/2G

Standard 256M X 64 Non-ECC 1066MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (DDR3, 1.5V, CL7, FBGA, Gold)

and I get this error on the diagnostic led: 000x0xxx  No Usable Memory Error

This happens regardless if I have the ram installed or not, in any of the slots...

There is no video ouput, I get a totally blank screen.

Now, I know that it is not on the tested memory list, and it is not ECC, but is there any reason that this memory should not work?

• 1. Re: S3420GPV ram issue

Trick Question?

How many non ECC dimms are listed in the supported list?

Answer: Zero

How many places in the TPS does it reference that Non-ECC DIMMS will not work?

Answer 6

Pages 2,18,19,21,23,& 24

How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A1: None. They are all too busy trying to design the perfect light bulb.

A2: Only the one with the instruction manual.

A3: One. But she would insist that the way she did it was distinctive.

A4: Three. One to hold the ladder, one to hold the light bulb, and the third to interpret the Chinese text.

A5: Five. One to design a nuclear-powered light bulb that never needs changing, one to figure out how to power the rest of the USA using that nuked light bulb, two to install it, and one to write the computer program that controls the wall switch.

A6: None. "According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."

• 3. Re: S3420GPV ram issue

well yes it says:

The following configurations are not validated, supported, or recommended:

• Mixing of RDIMMs and UDIMMs
            • Mixing memory type, size, speed, and/or rank
            • Mixing memory vendors
            • Non-ECC memory

My bad, I read it as an XOR, that is that Non-ECC memory could be not recommended, but could  be used but unsupported and validated.

• 4. Re: S3420GPV ram issue

Most definitely NOT a trick question.

But let me answer your questions

How many non ECC dimms are listed in the supported list?

Supported list?.... Oh you mean the TESTED memory list...

Well none, but then again, it is a tested list, meaning for me: "the board WILL work with these RAM"

not a "the board will ONLY work with these RAM"

How many places in the TPS does it reference that Non-ECC DIMMS will not work?

Page 2: Says it does support ECC, but not that non-ECC will not work.

Page 18: Ditto

Page 19: Says: UDIMM should be ECC; RDIMM must have ECC.

(Perhaps it's just me who can't read english, but as I'm using UDIMM's I'm reading as "You can, but we dont' recommend it"

And of course you should recommend ECC over non-ECC on a server.

Page 21: Bingo! Finally it said explicitly.  Hidden 4 headinglevels down, but it is there! 

Page 22: Ditto

Page 23: Ditto

Answer: 3

Thank you for your detailed answer.

• 5. Re: S3420GPV ram issue

Only to report my experience I've got a S3240GPLX (different model but same family) with a X3470 on it that runs fine with 2GB of DIMM not registered and not ECC.

My problem is different: I bought 2 modules KVR1333D3D4R9S/4G 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC Reg CL9 DIMM DR x4 w/TS and my motherboard cannot run with them I suppose because they are x4 and not x8!

Any suggestion on how to make them work? maybe changing CPU?

• 6. Re: S3420GPV ram issue

Non-ECC DIMM is NOT supported on S3420GP. With X3400 series processors, the system may get boot. However, i3 series processors can NOT boot system any more if DIMM is non-ECC type.

KVR1333D3D4R9S/4G 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC Reg CL9 DIMM DR x4 w/TS is based on 256M x 4-bit which is NOT supported by S3420GPLX. Please refer to tested memory list from support website at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s3420gp/sb/CS-030738.htm to find out the appropriate DIMMs.