9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2010 9:52 PM by parsec

DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory

scottwal

Currently the latest BIOS as of this date for the DG45ID motherboard supports up to 16GB (4x4GB) of DDR2-800 system memory.  Anyone know if there is any upcoming support for the DDR2-1066 varieties with the G45 chipset on this board?

• 1. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
          mechbob

No DDR2-800 is all you can do. Besides that board has No Overclocking at all it's a media center board . The best you can do is use 8 gigs DDR2-800 and a Q9550 CPU , this is the best config. for the DG45ID . I've Got two of them.

• 2. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
            scottwal

True, at present, Intel indicates only DDR2-800 type as being supported, but if there was a possibility of faster memory being supported in the future, then I will wait on the upgrade to more memory.  Also, DG45ID supports 16GB DDR2 as I am sure you know.  Latest BIOS notes in pdf format put out by Intel for this motherboard adjustment is at the following website address: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg45id/sb/e4912905us1.pdf

Also, DG45ID does support Q9650, the fastest cpu this board will support, although I know your dual set-ups with the Q9550 and 8GB DDR2 works well.  I use a Rampage III Extreme X58 for my overclocking ventures; overkill for an HTPC venture.  However, bumping up to 16GB DDR2 and ridding oneself of the pagefile.sys running a RAID5/0 (four 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm drives) in an HTPC (Antec Fusion Veris) set-up should give extreme HTPC performance (Maya and Lightwave file editing in a blink, to name a few).  I understand that this is a media board but no need to buy DDR2-800 when DDR2-1066 might be supported by a BIOS update.  If Intel can BIOS tweak the total memory handled by this board, they sure could just as easily come out with a BIOS tweak to take full advantage of the fastest DDR2 memory out on the market ('Santa Clara, come in Santa Clara, DG45ID user to Intel, come in Intel...').  Last BIOS update was in July 2010.  IMHO, Intel seems to be due for another BIOS update for the DG45ID given the number of times they already have tweaked this very reliable platform.

• 3. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
              mechbob

I have found the best improvement that I made with one of my DG45ID sys, Was to do away with the RAID and ADD a SSD , when I installed the G2 160 intel SSD , They machine ran Like it had a Xeon and 24 Gigs Ram. SSD is the best way to go , It's all about IOPS.

• 4. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
                mechbob

I have found the best improvement that I made with one of my DG45ID sys, Was to do away with the RAID and ADD a SSD , when I installed the G2 160 intel SSD , They machine ran Like it had a Xeon and 24 Gigs Ram. SSD is the best way to go , It's all about IOPS.  P/S the reason I did not use the 9650 is because the one I have is a QX9650 130watt and this board will not support anything above 95 watt.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
                  parsec

I agree, an SSD as your OS 'drive works great, my system with this mother board and a Q8300 is quite responsive.

Unfortunately, I doubt we will see a BIOS update for faster memory support, as I suspect the DG45ID will soon be moved into "end of life" status.  The ICH10R on this board certainly could handle it, since it is useable with DDR3 memory, and I wonder if going to 1066MHz memory (DDR2) will really make that much of a difference.  Beyond that, I would not spend the money on the memory, since DDR2 will likely be old news as socket 775 boards become passe.

Also considering the X58 chipset and the 1366 socket will not be used for the new Sandybridge Intel processors (from what I am reading), Intel's product focus will be elsewhere.

• 6. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
                    mechbob

I don't really worry about the end of life stuff. I using a DX48BT2. Which is near EOL for Intel But I know this sys will last me for years to come . And as far as performance it can compete with some of the I-core 7 Sys. out there.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
                      mechbob

I'm Just not ready to drop another $2000.00 into building a I-7 sys Yet.

• 8. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
                        scottwal

What you said is most likely true about the BIOS update.  Just that I hope a world class company like Intel would support their products to the max, EOL or not.  That is the reason I buy Intel as they tend to be pretty good at future-proofing their products for a much longer time than their competitors.

• 9. Re: DG45ID BIOS support for DDR2-1000 / DDR2-1066 system memory
                          parsec

Correction: In my previous post I mentioned that the ICH10R I/O Control Hub supports DDR3 memory.  That is false, the ICH does not deal with RAM memory, it is the SATA and USB controller.  The MCH/Northbridge is the memory controller, and on the DG45ID is the G45 chip.  Sorry about that!

@Gifford: Yes I hear you, and purchasing a Core i7 system is not cheap.  Also as you say the socket 775 based PCs are excellent products, your motherboard is among the best available for the 775 CPUs and uses DDR3 memory and the X48 MCH.  I would think it's EOL would be later than the DG45ID.  We are truly at the point of diminishing returns for many users, I guess we better start doing more with our PCs...

I should tell you I have a Core i7/X58 system, and while it loafs along at less than 5 - 10% CPU usage most of the time, it is really no faster for internet browsing than my Core 2/G45 or P43 systems, the ISP is the limiting factor there.

I was going to say that Core i7 PCs will start to come down in price when the new Sandybridge CPUs are released, but I then remembered what 775 CPUs are (still) going for, the Core 2 Duo E8400 is still around $150, and the best I've seen for a Core 2 Quad Q8300 is $119 (I own these so I notice their prices.)

@scottwal: Yes, good point about Intel.  I was thinking how difficult can it be to modify the BIOS to allow higher frequency memory, but then I wonder if the G45 MCH can handle it.  I'd need to research that.  I wonder if the integrated graphics on the G45 is a problem, I believe it runs at 667MHz and I wonder if it's clock is derived from the memory clock which might be the limitation.  Pure conjecture on my part.  I have a P43 MCH mother board (not Intel)  that can use 1066MHz memory, and I'm using it as such, but that chip does not have integrated graphics.

I guess the bottom line is will Intel simultaneously support three generations of CPUs/Chipsets/Mother Boards?