4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 10:11 AM by standleyn

SSR212MA Storage Modules

standleyn

I need to know what the maximum size drives this SAN will support. Right now we're using 150GB drives and starting to get low on space. The user manual does not clearly state this info so I'm hoping someone here can tell me.

I'd also be interested in a drive compatibilty list if there is such a list.

Thanks,

Neil

• 1. Re: SSR212MA Storage Modules
          john_s@intel

Neil,

Here's the latest Tested Hardware and Operating System List (THOL) for the SSR212MA. It's from 2007 and quite old, but does list hard dirives.

Good Luck,

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SSR212MA Storage Modules
            standleyn

Thanks, I have an additional question for you regarding adding drives to the existing RAID array (RAID 5).

We would like to add 6 more drives to each of our storage modules so each is fully populated (12 disks, we have 4GB of RAM in each SSM so the prereq is not an issue.). The way I read the manual seems to indicate that we should be able to install the new drives, turn them on and add them to the array without having to reconfigure the RAID set and lose the data that exists on drives in the current array.

Is that correct or am I reading it wrong? Does this actually take us from RAID 5 to RAID 50

Thanks for your help.

Neil

-----------From p86 of the manual-----------

Adding Disks

Prerequisite
            Before you add disks to the SSM, be sure that the SSM has enough memory to use the
            additional disks. See “Memory Requirements for Adding Disks” on page 85.
            Warning: Adding a disk to RAID deletes any existing data on that disk.

1. Add the new disks to the SSM.
            You must add disks in contiguous disk bays, from left to right and, for the Intel®
            Storage System SSR212MA, from top to bottom, as shown in Figure 68 and
            Figure 69.

2. Using the Console, log in to the SSM.

3. Select the Storage configuration category.

4. Click the Disk Setup tab to bring it to the front.
            The new disks will show a red X and be listed as Off.

5. Select the new disks and click Power On Disk.
            The disk status of the new disks becomes Uninitialized.

6. Select the new disks and click Add Disk to RAID.
            Shift-click to select multiple disks to add to RAID
            • pairs of disks to RAID 1/10 or
            • sets of 4 or 8 disks to RAID 5/50 [Intel® Storage System SSR316MJ2] or
            • sets of 6 disks [Intel® Storage System SSR212MA].
            RAID begins to rebuild on the new disks according to the RAID Rebuild rate
            configured on the RAID Setup tab.
            As soon as the RAID Status shows Normal, the disks provide fully operational data
            redundancy with the mirror in place. The SSM is ready for data transfer at this point.
            The newly added disks display on the RAID Setup tab.

• 3. Re: SSR212MA Storage Modules
              edwardzh

Yes you're correct. See page 66 of the manual:

RAID 5 and RAID 50 can only be configured on completely populated sets of disks. This
              means the Intel® Storage System SSR212MA must contain either 6 or 12 disks.

Whether the Intel® Storage System SSR212MA is configured in RAID 5 or RAID 50
              depends on the number of disk sets in the module.
              •      If the Intel® Storage System SSR212MA contains 1 disk set, then that set is RAID 5.
              •      If the Intel® Storage System SSR212MA contains 2 disk sets, then both sets are
                   RAID 50.
              • 4. Re: SSR212MA Storage Modules
                standleyn

Thanks, just what I needed.