2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 2:59 PM by Dogwood

Dual boot Vista-32b and Win7-64b

dtimmons

I currently have Vista 32-bit installed and it works fine.  However, I am getting into HD video editing and need to upgrade my system to a 64-bit OS to take advantage of greater RAM.  Therefore, I purchased Win7-64bit and want to set up a dual boot.  The Win7 will only have OS and Vegas Pro 10 to reduce all the misc programs that clog up my V32 Start Menu .  I will also want to set up two SATA hard drives in Raid0 for raw video storage and rendered final cuts.

While I don't need access to the Raid drive unless I am editing and booted to Win7, I am curious as to the procedure to install Raid with two (bits) configurations has landmines.  Would it be better to upgrade Vista 32 to Vista 64 before I install Win7?  If I stay at Vista 32, I assume that the extra memory won't be recognized and would have zero effect on system operations.?.

D975XBX2

Core2 Quad Q6600

8G Ram 800 (woulda thought the memory coulda been 1066 as that is the bus speed, but Intel says 800 is tops)

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Dual boot Vista-32b and Win7-64b
          mechbob

I've never tried what you are tring to do , But I think it would be Better to have both 64 bit , so you don't have any driver conflicts.Besides if you had both 64 bit you chould use the RAM on both programs.

• 2. Re: Dual boot Vista-32b and Win7-64b
            Dogwood

I've got a DX58SO with 6 gigabytes triple-booted with Vista 32, Win7-32, Win7-64, all on a RAID 1 (mirror).

Yes, it's true that under a 32-bit OS, only about 3 and a half of your 8 gigabytes of RAM will be used.

I've found multi-boot to be straightforward. Presumably you know how to divide your disk into volumes, and install the new OS on a separate volume. So, other than the fact that each OS can access the volume on which the other is stored, they're pretty much independent of each other.

Since the RAID you're adding is only for data and not for the OS, it should be pretty safe any way you do it. You'll just add the drives and then go into BIOS to tell it the RAID configuration. Then, for each OS, you'll install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology management program.

Once you get a 64-bit OS set up, you might want to start installing all of your software on it, with the goal of eventually making it your exclusive OS. Unless something cannot be ported, you'd probably rather be running everything under 64 bits if you can.

1 of 1 people found this helpful