9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 5:39 AM by pchokola

Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting

olger901

Hello all,

I've got a minor, yet annoying issue with my Intel DP55KG motherboard. Sometimes when I cold boot my machine, all my fans run at max speed. They just keep running at max. speed and won't go down until I reboot my pc. The problem is that the issue doesn't happen always. It just happens every now and then.

Things I've tried so far:

- Cold booting the machine with and without keeping the power plugged into the wall;

- Updating the BIOS to the latest version;

- Resetting the BIOS defaults;

- Enabling / Disabling EIST;

- Patching the CPU microcode (using the microcode package using the CPU microcode from the Gentoo repository);

- Turning fan speed up and down using fan speed control software?

Does anybody else have any other suggestion(s) or is there anybody else having the same issue?

Some other specs:

I've got 2 Lian Li 120mm (3-pins) case fans and a Scythe Yasya CPU cooler (4-pins)

CPU is: Intel Core i7 860 (running at stock speeds)

The PSU is a: Enermax Modu 82+ 625 Watt PSU

The GFX Card is a: MSI Geforce 460GTX (Military Edition, Factory OCed)

• 1. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
          mechbob

Check what the sleep states are set at , I found S1 works best But I am also using a UPS. If it is at S3 try changing it to S1.

• 2. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
            olger901

I assume you mean sleep state in the BIOS?

I will have a look at it and let you know the result, but I don't think it matters, because I'm not using suspend or hibernation (S3 or S4) I always fully power down my pc and normally unplug my power cord; so I really cold boot. I've also tried just leaving the power cord plugged in, but that didn't make a difference.

• 3. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
              Eandori

Hello all, thanks again for posting issues you are running into on these forums.  It helps us have the chance (when time allows) to respond to your questions and hopefully address them.

The problem you are reporting may be a problem we addressed with a BIOS update already.  The fan control system in DP55KG controls fan speeds by averaging the temperature values reported by different sensors.  Sometimes a glitch can happen and one of the sensors reports an enormous temperature value.  It takes hours to "average out" that value, and until the "averaged" temp value drops below a specific number the fans stay at full speed because they think the system is very hot.

Since the hardware is already out and we cannot change the hardware, we implemented a BIOS work-around to clear out all previous temperature values when the system reboots, and when it goes in and now of ACPI S3 (also known as Stand By in Windows).  Please update to the latest BIOS and try to cycle the system in and out of Stand By and let us know if that resolved your issue.

Thanks again.

Edwin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
                olger901

It works, but that's not a fix. That's more like a workaround IMO... It's the same as a reboot. It just resets the values...

• 5. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
                  Eandori

Yep, it's indeed a workaround.  That is a better term in this case.

Going in and out of S3 is a much faster way to resolve the issue then a reboot.  Additionally, you don't have to close apps and lose information with an S3 cycle.  While it's not a perfect fix, at least there is something.   This issue is apparently a rare failure, only some of the boards ever saw this problem and of the ones that did it was not easy to re-create the failure.  Since this relates to the interaction between fan control chip and CPU I suspect other vendors P55 boards which use the same fan control chip have the same issue.

• 6. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
                    olger901

So, what would the eventual solution be; should I RMA my motherboard and get a new one or isn't this covered under warranty?

Well I've been watching the temperature sensors for both MB and Processor for a while, but they don't show anything odd...would it be that this only occurs once every x times when I cold boot my pc? and will there be a bug fix or?... Could be the temperature sensor, but what value would it display then for a second? Because if the it would show only 100 degrees and it would be counted  down quickly and the fans should spin down after a couple of minutes.

I also wonder why something like this wasn't tackled by during the development phase though. They could've just removed the highest and the lowest value, because in 1 degree celcius or fahrenheit wouldn't matter that much, but if it would record an insane temperature of 10 000 degrees for instance and that would be removed, the fans wouldn't be running at top speed, also a nasty workaround , but this way the user doesn't have to suffer a reboot or listening to a lawn mower

[offtopic]

Same reason I don't understand why Intel is using only High Quality Japanese Capacitators around the CPU area and why most motherboard manufacturers use a Realtek NIC (one of the reasons I'm using an Intel MB; saves me a PCI slot ) on their motherboards (because Realtek NICs always have hiccups, high latency and WOL problems; flawed by design) or why some MB manufacturers think all PCI-E slots will be used for graphics cards and have problems with other expansion cards like Hardware RAID Controllers or other items in a long PCI-E slot (whether it's running at 4x, 8x or 16x)-_-... do they only care about making MB's as cheap as possible and cutting costs on quality parts?; cause I'd rather spend 20 bucks more for quality, but I guess I'm crazy

[/offtopic]

• 7. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
                      PSC

Hi,

i have the same problem "fans at full speed" with the DDP55KG latest Bios. The workaround works ( going to s3) but that is no solution.. is there any news to this case ? Should i RMA the board ?

Pls help, any hints are welcome....

Peter

• 8. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
                        olger901

I'm still not sure what the issue is, you could RMA it, but I'm not willing to wait 2 - 3 weeks to get another motherboard and since the issue is only a minor issue IMO I've decided to live with it and give it a reboot if it occurs.

Oh and I've never had the problem since I updated from BIOS 5531 version to BIOS version 5893 and resetted my BIOS to default settings. You might want to give that a try. I can't be 100% sure though, since the issue only occurs every once in a while (rarely).

• 9. Re: Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug; fans sometimes run at max speed when cold booting
                          pchokola

I have the same exact problem;  I am running BIOS 5921, although I do not know at which BIOS the problem started or if the BIOS is even to blame.  Another intermittent problem I am having with this motherboard is that during a cold boot, sometimes the hardware starts up for a few seconds, then the system reboots itself and boots again normally, except it switches the boot order that I set the hard drives in the BIOS and I have to reset them.  It also had a bad battery that I had to replace when I bought it new.  What a fine piece of workmanship; last Intel product for me.