8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 12:47 PM by mechbob

QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID

scottwal

Does anyone know when and if Intel will be coming out with a BIOS update for the DG45ID and other 4 series chipsets to support the QX series of cpu processors?  The QX series (eg., core 2 extreme quad core QX9650) seems to be the last and only series yet to be supported by this board.  It does not seem to make sense that ASUS with their Maximus Formula motherboards and Gigabyte with their GA-X48-DS4 board can support it, but Intel, who makes both the DG45ID board and QX9650 cpu in question, cannot.  Granted, Intel makes boards that do support this cpu, but this board is such a good all around package deal as an entertainment center board, why not put out a bios update to support this series?  Is it because the QX9650 requires a motherboard based on the Intel P35 or X38 chipset?  That is, is the G45 series not capable of supporting the QX9650 whose only difference with the Q9650 is the unlocked multiplier and $100 price difference as of this writing? 

• 1. Re: QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID
          Cpt.Dogfruit

my guess is that the chances are slim. I don't see why it couldn't be supported, they simply haven't mad eit compatible dor whatever reason. at teh same time lloking at the other compatible CPUs, it may even work, it would depend how it is recognised.

• 2. Re: QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID
            mechbob

In a word NO Intel will not come out with a BIOS to use a QX9650 for this board . Probable because the QX9650 is a 130 watt CPU , and this board will not handle the watts. I've got two DG45ID , and I also own a QX9650. But I use my QX in a DX48BT2 , It's built for the extra watts . The best CPU you can use on a DG45ID is a Q9550 , thats what I've been using . they work good , ALSO NO overclocking on the DG45ID , So why try to put a QX9650 on it?? If you own a QX9650 Get a DX48BT2 it's a rock solid board with NO bugs , I have one I'm even running a Xeon on One. Board.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID
              scottwal

You are correct in saying the board in its original state does not support the 130W+ power requirements of the qx series of core 2 quad cpus.  Page 14 of the manual for the DG45ID specifically states no support for cpus requiring more than 95W.  My question then should have been more in depth to ask whether or not this was a hardware issue or merely a BIOS issue that Intel could address if a person with this board had the PSU to support it.  I currently run a 700watt PSU  ($25 eBay) and so wondered if not a hardware limitation, maybe a BIOS tweak would allow qx core 2 quad use.  Yes, I understand that the DG45ID does not have overclocking capability (a bios tweak here would also address this issue, albeit I know Intel will never do it for liability reasons), and that the qx series has unlocked multipliers that cannot be used with this board.  The simple basis of this question comes down to economics.  There is a relative glut of QX9650s versus Q9650s (not to mention your Q9550) which are currently $100 less in cost on the market as of this writing.  I am just trying to 'help' (*wink*) Intel relieve some of its vendors of their overstocked and neglected QX series cpus which are collecting dust at much lower prices than the Q series.  I mean if we really want to go there, why buy a Q or QX anything when one can get an I7-950 for even less than the cost of Q series?  Yes in that case, another motherboard would have to be bought, but at least I would be investing in something that has more longevity

• 4. Re: QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID
                mechbob

If you look on ebay you can find brand new QX9650 CPUs , But I remind you that you need a board with a 8 pin power hook up for the 130 watts and thats just not on a DG45ID. the reg. Q9650 is still 95 watts. thats why I use the Q9550. If you are going to stay in 775 the QX9650s are about $260.00.New

• 5. Re: QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID
                  mechbob

The other day I found a Guy on Ebay that has a case of Brand New DX48BT2 Ver.207 (last board made) For $150.00 freight Inc. So I bought one just for a spare. It is the Best 775 Board ever built .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID
                    scottwal

Looked up the specs to the DX48BT2, nice.  But for Micro ATX HTPC guys, unfortunately, I do not know of a good DDR3 X48 chipset alternative if we want to keep our cases looking nice under the big screen TV.  You are right, it is an impressive board as I was not able to find better (ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.) for LGA 775 with that chipset and DDR3.  Then again, this board also supports most QX series, just not the high-end QX9775.

• 7. Re: QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID
                      mechbob

Yea the QX9775 is a 771 socket . But there still some QX9770 out there for anywhere from$ 300 to $400.

• 8. Re: QX series processor BIOS update support for DG45ID
                        mechbob

But I had a QX9650 on mine and got away form the QX-000 and got a Xeon X3380 now and it out perfoms the QX9650 , runs much cooler uses less watts and gives me a better WEI score than the QX9650 did much more stable. But cost twice as much .