Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

What is Intel core 2 duo "E8290" ?????

idata
Employee

Hi everyone , first of all sorry for my bad english.

I used the utility of Intel for Identification of CPUs " Intel Processor Identification Utility " and I've got these infos " Intel CPU core 2 duo E8290 @ 2.83GHz ", really I searched all the web for that model "E8290" besides Intel's site and I didn't find any traces for that model, only E8200 and E8300 as you know, plz someone tell me about this one and if it is original one and how could I figour out the real specification of this CPU, thank you very much .

1 Solution
idata
Employee

Intel has E8190 CPU, which is the same as E8200, but lacks Virtualization. Similarly, your E8290 is almost the same as E8300, but, as I suspect, doesn't support Virtualization. It looks like your CPU is OEM-only version, this is why you can't find it on Intel's website.

Gennadiy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Wow, i can't find any record of this processor either, which makes me think it may be a software ID error?

You might try CPUID http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

and see if it reports the processor the same way.

idata
Employee

Thank you Doc_silver for your quick response, I found that chinese site too but it appeard as labtop CPU and used also, I forgot to tell you that this weared CPU came as tray not boxed in Intel original box, could this CPU be fake or something like that ??

Ok the following is CPU-Z result , it says Intel E8300 but in specifications it says again mailto:E8290@2.83GHz E8290@2.83GHz , here is the result :

Message was edited by: docxyz

Message was edited by: docxyz

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

I don't think a fake is very likly, The tools you have run read both internal chip ID data as well as measured opertional data.

Most fakes involve trying to edit the box or chip marking for a low cost processor to that of a high cost processor.

I this case i guessing that it just didn't make it on to the Intel support site.

Doing more round about digging on the china web site pictures (which for some reason they have blacked out the serial number on the processor).

Their E8290 is a SLAQQ (this is the intel chip designation.

If you google SLAQQ you will get a few hits for the E8290..

Someone on Intel's processor team monitoring this forum may be able to figure out why ARK does not list this processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you again Doc_SliverCreek for your answers, I reached a company I think is responcible for this and I e-mailed them waiting for answer I hope soon cause i'm so confused about that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel has E8190 CPU, which is the same as E8200, but lacks Virtualization. Similarly, your E8290 is almost the same as E8300, but, as I suspect, doesn't support Virtualization. It looks like your CPU is OEM-only version, this is why you can't find it on Intel's website.

Gennadiy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes "gshv" that what I concluded after search and your answers, it is only about ethics, I ordered a new CPU and they put a used OEM-only CPU into my system , they will get what they deserve I hope.

Anyway is there any disadvantages of being used OEM-only CPU ? and should I replace it ? Plz give me your opinions.

Thank you all

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

GSHV is correct that this CPU lacks the hardware virtualization. Other than that the SPECs. match the E8300.

Unless you plan to load hardware virtualization (which very few desktop user use) this CPU should do you good.

Price might be the other consideration. I noticed on the china web site link, they were asking a much higher price than what you can find for a E8300.

I would not want to pay more for a processor that does less (even if i don't use the extra feature)

0 Kudos