6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 10:54 AM by bigthe

DX58SO WHEA logger error 17 revisited

xwray

I have had this board for about 4 months. I am getting a WHEA  error 17 in the system event log at every boot. The error first appeared when I booted ffor the very first time after having installed Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit with only a EVGA GTX480 video card installed. I have thus far  been unable to solve the problem. From extensive surfing the various fora and google searches the only thing I can say with some degree of certainty is that MANY are experiencing this problem to one degree or another and the only constant I can find is that the problem only occurs when the motherboard has the X58 chipset on it with a 64 bit Win 7 OS installed. Other MB mfgs, other video card mfgs, different MB and video card bios's and chipset drivers, etc. all cough up the same error. My board has the latest Intel Bios and chipset driver.

Can anyone tell me how to open a formal problem report with Intel...I am going to need professional help from someone a lot smarter than me to get the problem resolved.

Oh, one more thing - not one of the people looking for an answer to this problem, as far as I can determine, has reported success fixing the problem. After doing the "usual things",  sometimes they would see a different error frequency but the error never went totally away.

I believe this problem is pretty much universal but because the systems continue to run with no apparent degradation the users don't know that the errors are beng generated and I suspect a lot more of them  would be reporting the problem if they ever looked at the error logs.

I will be happy to  post any additional info but I really feel that it is important to get a case/problem report opened and if someone could tell me how to do that it would be much appreciated.

thanks

• 1. Re: DX58SO WHEA logger error 17 revisited
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

You can find here the contact details for intel support:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

Or you can contact them  via chat here: http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=desktop

• 2. Re: DX58SO WHEA logger error 17 revisited
            tzimmer

Hello.

Could you retest with issue with the latest DX58SO2 BIOS (SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203)?  There is a workaround in this BIOS that may alleviate the WHEA-17 errors.

Thanks

• 3. Re: DX58SO WHEA logger error 17 revisited
              tjg79

Why would you retest the issue with the latest DX58SO2 BIOS on a DX58SO board?

Regards

• 4. Re: DX58SO WHEA logger error 17 revisited
                tzimmer

My bad.  Posted to the wrong thread.  DX58SO BIOS does not have the workaround for this yet.

• 5. Re: DX58SO WHEA logger error 17 revisited
                  tzimmer

Hello.

Could you retest with issue with the latest DX58SO BIOS (SOX5810J.86A.5599)?  There is a workaround in this BIOS that may alleviate the WHEA-17 errors.

Thanks

• 6. Re: DX58SO WHEA logger error 17 revisited
                    bigthe

For the moment I'm still on the SOX5810J.86A.4598, but I was able to stop the WHEA-17 errors.  I recently built the following system: Xeon W3530, DX58SO, 64 bit Windows 8, and an EVGA GT640 card.  At the height of the problem the event log was registering thousands of errors an hour.  After much experimentation and frustration, I made the following changes which seemed to work:

First, I moved the graphics card from the recommended primary PCIe graphics slot to the secondary PCIe graphics slot.  At that point the WHEA-17 errors stopped completely, but in their place I started getting a bunch of WHEA-19 errors and EHCI error instead -- and the computer crashed every 5 minutes.  Since there had been a while at the beginning where the system was stable, I knew some driver conflict(s) had crept in along the way.  What I *usually* do when I build a new system is first let Windows Update catch up, then install all the newest drivers from the hardware manufacturers; in this case I had installed the Intel Chipset INF files, and the newest GT640 drivers from the manufacturers websites, among other things.

So after the PC wouldn't stop crashing, I resorted to a clean reinstall of Windows, but this time I only relied upon the Windows Update version of all the hardware drivers.  And viola!  A clean error log and no crashes!  So I would recommend a) moving the graphics card to the secondary slot and b) if possible, rolling back to default Windows drivers for the DX58 chipset and graphics card -- or else just do a clean Windows reinstall.

Really hope that saves someone my fun week of reboots!