Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Procedures on Upgrading from RAID 1 to RAID 5?

idata
Employee

I'm curious if there is a process that does not entail loss of data or reinstallation of a operating system when upgrading a OS RAID 1 to a RAID 5. I currently have an ASUS Extreme Gaming II Mainboard that has an ICH10R controller with updated drivers from Intel. It is currently managing a 300GB RAID 1 comprised of 2 WD3200AAJS drives. I wish to add a 350GB drive to the span and upgrade it to RAID 5. All drives are using SATA 2 mode. But the warnings I am reading and receiving from the RST manager is making me nervous about proceeding about this.

Is the simple process of adding a drive to the span without trashing the volume out there? Or am i going to be stuck with a 320GB spare tire?

Message was edited by: Nighthawke edited tagline - too vague for readers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

You absolutely can migrate from a RAID 1 to a RAID 5 without loss of data or reinstallation of an operating system using Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Can you tell me what specific warning you're seeing that is causing you concern?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The warnings state that "all data will be lost on the selected drives." What are these selected drives that they are implying, the existing volume, or the drive to be added to the current span? I do not know, the documents are not helpful either.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can definitely see where the confusion comes from. The "selected drives" are any additional drives that are being added to the current span. The volume itself will keep its data intact. And any data on your new 350GB drive will be overwritten when that drive is added to the existing RAID array.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

See post Mrigrating from RAID 0 to a new Raid 0 volume