7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 1:28 AM by Cpt.Dogfruit

DQ45CB eSATA port not installed. How do I correct this?

retread

I have filled all 5 other SATA ports and have the need to connect to the eSATA port for the 6th device.  Hardware is not seen, and in BIOS I note that it reports "eSATA port not installed."  How do I go about correcting this?

• 1. Re: DQ45CB eSATA port not installed. How do I correct this?
          Aryan2411

Hello,

Press F2 to go into the BIOS.

Go to Advanced >> Drive Configuration >> eSATA Port >> Disabled

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

Voting Poll

• 2. Re: DQ45CB eSATA port not installed. How do I correct this?
            retread

I appreciate your response, but it is somewhat redundant.  I reported that the eSATA port is not installed, not that it is not enabled.  If I disable the eSATA port, the "eSATA Port ....Not installed" disappears, but that is because it is disabled.  My BIOS is configured to enable the eSATA port, but the list of SATA ports says that the eSATA port is NOT INSTALLED.  This is my dilemma.  My question remains:  How do I INSTALL the eSATA port?

• 3. Re: DQ45CB eSATA port not installed. How do I correct this?
              Aryan2411

Hello again,

Ok, now i understand. Sorry i did not get you earlier. Let me check with my friend who has worked with this board.

Hopefully, someone else can help you on this in the meantime.

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 4. Re: DQ45CB eSATA port not installed. How do I correct this?
                Cpt.Dogfruit

AFAIK you don't need to install it, it says that when it does not find any H/w, what HDD are you trying to connect to teh Esata port, does it have it's own power suplpy? what cables are you using? have you got the system off when you plug it in? What BIOS version do you have?

Aslo what are you settings for ATA/IDE mode and intel Rapid Recover Tech?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DQ45CB eSATA port not installed. How do I correct this?
                  retread

Thanks for the quick response..

I was thinking that the report "Not installed" may mean no h/w connected/sensed.... I disconnected the eSATA cable when the h/w did not respond, so I'll try looking at the BIOS with something connected and see if it still says "not installed".   I will post a reply when I have an opportunity to hook up an external device.  (Probably later in the week)  Right now, the device I was trying to connect to eSATA is installed internally and working fine.

• 6. Re: DQ45CB eSATA port not installed. How do I correct this?
                    retread

Speaking of eSATA cabling, does one need an eSATAp (7pin) cable to connect to an external HDD?  Or only if the HDD needs power?   I have not done this, and just wondering.  Also, I note that eSATA cables come with I to L fm ends.  I assume these are external SATA port to internal SATA port.  Am I correct?

BIOS is configured for IDE mode.... but interested in Intel Rapid Recovery.  Do I need a SATA HDD to accomplish this, or will an external IDE drive work?

Lastly, I know nothing about AHCI and therefore did not install the driver.  What is this useful for?

• 7. Re: DQ45CB eSATA port not installed. How do I correct this?
                      Cpt.Dogfruit

"Speaking of eSATA cabling, does one need an eSATAp (7pin) cable to connect to an external HDD?"

you need the I (goes in the back panel of the motherboard) to whatever your caddy connection has, or directly to the HDD if you were to do it like that.

"Or only if the HDD needs power?"

I have seen HDD connected to the Esata and not get enough power and cause problems, and I have also seen caddies with an extra usb connection for power, it will depend what and how you are connecting.

"I have not done this, and just wondering.  Also, I note that eSATA cables come with I to L fm ends.  I assume these are external SATA port to internal SATA port.  Am I correct? I to L would be from the external esata port to possibly a HDD on its own without a caddy or a caddy with a L sata connector.

"BIOS is configured for IDE mode.... but interested in Intel Rapid Recovery."

Ok, the rapid recovery is simply if you have a RAID config, and it fails it will help to rebuild the Raid faster so nothing to worry about there.

"Do I need a SATA HDD to accomplish this, or will an external IDE drive work?"

You would generally put a HDD, sata/ide/SSD etc into a caddy and connect it like that.

"Lastly, I know nothing about AHCI and therefore did not install the driver.  What is this useful for?"

You will need it enabled for Esata to work. For more info on AHCI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Hope this helps.