11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 9:34 AM by

Can a Motherboard fry video cards?

majsu

I built a machine using a Intel DX58SO Motherboard and it seems to be going thorugh video cars at a rate of about 1 ervery 30 days. The original cards was a GeForce 9500 but I've used other cards in the last 4 months (including ATI) and it seems that each one only seems to be lasting about 2-3 weeks. None of these cards required (or accepted) power form the PSU and all th power is coming form the MB. Is it possible that the DX58SO board is killing these video cards?

The setup is as follows:

• Intel DX58SO Motherboard

• OCZ Platinum Tri Channel 6GB
      • Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
      • 2 Samsung TS-H663B DVDRW Drives
      • GeForce 9500 GT Video Card
      • 1TB hard drive

Anyone have any ideas befor I replace the MB and Video card #4?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
          Salem_Intel

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear you've lost various video cards.  I do confirm a board should theoretically not cause such damage.

I did notice among the specs of the NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500 GT that it requires a NVIDIA HybridPower™- enabled motherboard:

HybridPower.JPG

I confirm none of our Intel(R) desktop boards support that.

As for the rest of the described system set-up, I don't see any problem.

• 2. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
            majsu

Thanks for the reply Salem_Intel,

I checked the link but I still didn't see that as a requirement, as a matter if fact it looks like it doesn't support it. I've allso used a Galaxy - 210 Series card and an ATI (model slipped my mind) and the same thing happened.

Someone sugegsted it may have been the VGA cable from the displa or the display itself. It was an older display and cable so it was replaced. Lets see if that solves the issue.

But again  thanks for the reply/

• 3. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
              Doc_SilverCreek

With a computer, anything is possible, but the mother board frying the video card is way down the list.

The main fryers are:

Excessive heat (chassis fans not working or stuffed in a closed drawer)

Excessive load ( monitor or cables bad, shorting, and just general dying)

ESD - (Lightning, bad House AC grounds, extension cords, static from carpets)

Excessive voltage (power supply in computer not correctly regulated or regulation feed back from MB missing)

Low voltage (Power supply, Mother board not able to provide the power required by add in card.

• 4. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
                MaxN

What Doc said.

If you have not already... use a video card that takes its power from you power supply and not the mother board.

Looks like your pwr sup has PCIE and ESB outputs. Use them if you can.

Dumb idea: Maybe. Check the "energy saving" setting in bios. 3 cents worth of energy "saved" could be costing you a bundle.

&. If you are overclocking, cool, cool, cool. Monitor your temps and voltages.

There's:

http://www.hwinfo.com/

It's free/good/and I found it via an Intel/AMT blog.

Best,N

• 5. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
                  mechbob

Do you have the SATA power connector pluged into the mother board??

• 6. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
                    parsec

All of the above suggestions are good ones.    Personally, I checked that link that Salem_Intel provided, and if you click the Specifications tab and scroll down, I did see the reference to Hybrid Power.

Video cards run hot, worse than CPUs.  If you do not have many case fans or extra fans for the mother board/video card area, you probably need them.  I believe driving a monitor via a VGA interface (analog) is more difficult for the video card than a DVI interface, which is digital.

Actually, if the video card was attempting to draw higher power than usual, it is the mother board that would fry, not the video card.

• 7. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
                      majsu

No Sata power connector plugged into the mobo. All sata are powered from the psu.

• 8. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
                        MaxN

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18128/eng/DX58SO_TechProdSpec.pdf

page48. section 2.2.2.4

-edit-

Auxiliary PCI Express graphics power – a 1 x 4 connector. This connector

provides the required additional power when using high power (75 W or greater)

add-in cards in either or both the Secondary PCI Express x16 (electrical x8) and

the PCI Express x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connectors. See Figure 1 for

location.

Note:... this is the " I " connector ...

-edit-

CAUTION

If high power (75 W or greater) add-in cards are installed in either or both the

Secondary PCI Express x16 and the PCI Express x4 bus add-in card connectors, the

Auxiliary PCI Express graphics power connector must be used. Failure to do so may

cause damage to the board and the add-in cards.

UNQUOTE

This "I" connector (page 43, 2.2.2, fig 11) looks like a good old kinda-now-kinda-80s power connector.

It is *not* a "sata" connector.

I think if you use the right video card and connect as spec'd you'll be good-to-go.

So

Q-"Can a Motherboard fry video cards?"

A- Yes (and vis/vers)

the ned?, best, M

Message was edited by: Max N - added pointer to figure 11

• 9. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
                          parsec

Max Nicholas wrote:

Auxiliary PCI Express graphics power – a 1 x 4 connector. This connector

provides the required additional power when using high power (75 W or greater)

add-in cards in either or both the Secondary PCI Express x16 (electrical x8) and

the PCI Express x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connectors. See Figure 1 for

location.

Note:... this is the " I " connector ...

Otherwise known as a molex connector, used on non-SATA HDDs and many peripheral devices, also used for direct connection to fans, provides 12V and 5V.

Other newer mother boards besides Intel's have this on them.  You should have your PS connected to this for the reason Max posted.

• 10. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?
                            MaxN

molex. a company. molex.com - a company that makes a lot of stuff.

"dumb" stuff

http://www.molex.com/mx_upload/family/disk_drive_power_connector/intro.gif

"smart" stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgabPRRCYUI

• 11. Re: Can a Motherboard fry video cards?

I have a intel mother board DG31PR

Which dose not have any display when power on.

I cheak all the parts even Processor also.

and find the fault is in the mother board.

But there is on Easy way for claim for warrenty for the mother board.