Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Will the P4 Extreme Edition Work and which one?

idata
Employee

Good day everyone,

I want to upgrade to the P4 extreme edition 3.4GHz. I thought the SL7CH was the one to choose out of the P4 EE 3.4, but now I am not sure.

What is the very best upgrade option for this socket/motherboard?

Thank you,

LIOTB

I have a HP Pavilion M300Y.

Motherbaord:

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Model Yale

Version 0qq1112RE101YALE 10

Chipset Vendor Intel

Chipset Model i865P/PE/G/i848P

Chipset Revision A2

Southbridge Vendor Intel

Southbridge Model 82801EB (ICH5)

Southbridge Revision 02

BIOS:

Brand American Megatrends Inc.

Version 3.28

Date 08/27/2004

Current Processor:

Name Intel Pentium 4

Code Name Northwood

Package Socket 478 mPGA

Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
8 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

You got it , I have the 3.2 Ver. Of this CPU also , the main way you can tell these apart from the other P4s is they have a ( L3 ) cashe. Yes that will work in a Yale . I have my sys running 4 Gigs of ram with the 3.2 EE .

idata
Employee

Thank you for that help. So the SL7CH is the right one of the three? This ends a long, long surch and many, many questions.

So they have L3 cash? I looked at the specs on the P4EE web page and it only shows L2 cash. How big are the L3 L2 and L1 cashes?

Also, if I understand correctly from my computer model's web page that this board only provides 200 watts. How do I find out how much spare wattage my board is now using.? (the only things drawing power right now are CPU, 2 fans, USB's, tv tunnor card, RAM, mouse/keybord, FireWire, maybe the built in multi card reader)

Thank you so much for your help.

Aaron

Again thank you for the help.

LIOTB

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I used this CPU in a HP a566n and I also uped the PSU to a 450 wattt . Which is a good choice exspecialy if you add a graphics card , you can get a AGP card that will give you DVI and HDMI for about $65.00. Good Move also.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Mr. Gifford,

I wanted to follow up about the cashes. How much in 1 and 3?

Also, which AGP card do you suggest with HDMI? Right now I have the ATI Radeon 3850 512MB to which I upgraded last year.

Thank you very much with this extra info.

LIOTB

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

The P4 E ( SL7CH , 3.4 ) Has 512KB L2 , 2MB L3 , Gigabyte 1 Gig HD4650 AGP , If you get this card and I recomand that you do make sure you download the Drivers from the AGP section NOT the PCI-E section.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you so much Mr. Gifford.

Right, I feel dumb I had forgoten, for some reason, that it was L3 and the specs said L2 on the site. I dug deep into documentation and found it for sure. I sent intel a letter suggesting an update to the web site. I doubt they will even give it a glance. You have done a great job answering my questios and giving me other information. You have been a great help.

Thank you,

LIOTB

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Right glussier, it was this web page that cuased all the confusion, I had been there all a long. Intel was not correct and they didn't differinciate between the models and their socket types.

AMD and Intel have no clue how to properly do there web sites. Very ironic since they are the ones who make it all possible. In fact I have a lot of ideas how to make their sites incredible.

Thank you for your suggestion and for the link. In different circumestances it would have sinched the deal, if only things were that simple.

LIOTB

0 Kudos