2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 7:42 PM by keith_chapman

Debugger

devendra.rai

Hello,

I saw that intel has idb (like gdb) for working with Intel platforms like SCC. So, is some debugging framework available for SCC? I am not sure what is required so that I can debug on the MCPC.

Any help would be wonderful.

• 1. Re: Debugger
          tedk

Debugging SCC code is very primitive. I heard that the group at Purdue brought up gdb on the cores (I think they put the gdb code in /shared). Dare I say that many people use a C call that begins with pr and ends with tf.

I've always been intrigued by Eclipse/PTP. PTP is the parallel tools project. I've seen demos where users ran eclipse on a PC and debugged code running remotely on a cluster. I've talked with the PTP people about debugging many-core systems. But I haven't had the time to do much myself except show interest. The PTP project is opensource and the project leader is Greg Watson at IBM.

• 2. Re: Debugger
            keith_chapman

Hi,

Yes we did get gdb and strace to work on the cores. Sorry I wanted to post the details on the forum but it just got postponed all the time.

Installing strace was pretty straight forward, all you have to do is set up the cross compiling environment cross compile strace into the shared folder and ./configure --host=i386-unknown-linux-gnu --prefix=/shared/keith_chapman/gdb-install

In order to install gdb you will also have to install termcap and then install gdb as follows

wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/termcap/termcap-1.3.1.tar.gz

./configure --host=i386-unknown-linux-gnu --prefix=/shared/keith_chapman/termcap-install

export LDFLAGS="-static -L/shared/keith_chapman/termcap-install/lib"

export CPPFLAGS="-I/shared/keith_chapman/termcap-install/include"

wget ftp://sourceware.org/pub/gdb/releases/gdb-7.1.tar.bz2

./configure --host=i386-unknown-linux-gnu --prefix=/shared/keith_chapman/gdb-install