2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 5:28 PM by

X25-V Centos HSM Violation

mcheavens

I get the following messages a few times a day both on the screen (when logged in as root) as well as in /var/log/messages.

I have three clean installs of Centos 5.x on three different computers. The messages are exactly the same on three computers. The only thing that is unchanged is the drive. (Same physical drive)

(I can't believe I can't "paste" into this window!)

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen

ata1.00: cmd b0/d5:01:09:4f:c2/00:00:00:00:00/00 tag 0 pio 512 in

res 58/00:ff:0b:4f:c2/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x2 (HSM violation)

ata1.00: status: { DRDY DRQ }

ata1: hard resetting link

SATA link up 1.5Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)

ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133

ata1: EH complete

SCSI device sda: 78165360 512-byte hdwr sectors (40021 MB)

sda: Write Protect is off

SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back

I would have email product support, but you can't email Intel product support with SSD issues!

Does this sound like a hardware failure?

Drive is new.

Mark

• 1. Re: X25-V Centos HSM Violation
          JorgeR@Intel

There are several things here that you should verify.

1. How is the drive setup in the BIOS? We always recommend using the Solid-state drive with AHCI (Advance Host Controller Interface) or RAID.
          2. Which kernel version is running? Be aware that until 2.6.30 there is not full support for Solid-state drives.
          3. If it is possible, try testing the Solid-state drive in another computer with Microsoft* based Operating System, connect the Solid-state drive as secondary drive, install the Intel® Solid-state drive Toolbox and run the full diagnostic tool. Unfortunately we do not have any tool yet available for Linux* environment.
          4. If the Intel® Solid-state drive Toolbox passes every test then try running a low level format on the Solid-state drive before re-installing the Operating System.

Please post the results to help you further.

• 2. Re: X25-V Centos HSM Violation

I tried three computers with various versions of SATA. All three computers (different hardware vendors) had the same issues.

The CentOS build is a custom build that does allow for too many changes.

(It is a stable telephone system with very little drive access, but uptime and reliability are MUST haves!)

AHCI was enabled on all three systems tested.

I exchanged the drive for a different drive, and had the same problem. The problem is not drive specific, but is firmware/system specific.

After not receiving a response to my post here and not having a phone number to contact for support I did the only option that I had left. I returned the drive and purchased a Patriot SSD. I have used the Patriots as well as Samsungs with no problems in the past. I am migrating a few hundred systems with non-standard hardware and could not wait any longer for an update from Intel with no support on the back end.

I purchased 50 SSD's last week. (all Patriot's)

The kernel version is: 2.6.18-194.17.4.el5

Please pass along the lack of support will cost you sales!