2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 8:08 AM by ofsen

SASWT4I Raid Controller

I want to ask a question about SASWT4I . Is this a true Hardware raid controller? Or it is a Host Based Raid controller (requires communication with host ). and what is the difference among

Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology

Intel® Integrated Server RAID

Intel® RAID Controllers

found at http://www.intel.com/products/server/raid/index.htm?iid=prodmap_sw+raid#raid

We want the cheapest Hardware based raid controller and it seems that this SASWT4I  is the cheapest one with 4 ports.

• 1. Re: SASWT4I Raid Controller

As you can see on the product overview page, the SASWT4I leverages the LSI SAS1064E ASIC’s advanced LSI Fusion-MPT* architecture to provide entry-level hardware RAID. It utilizes the embedded CPU in the LSI SAS1064E ASIC to perform integrated RAID 0, 1, and 1E/10E operations. It's "entry-level" because it doesn't have RAID 5 or 6 support.

As for the RAID features:

Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology: This is the software RAID technology

Intel® Integrated Server RAID: RAID solutions designed specially for Intel® server boards and systems. Built onboard, or RAID module with a special connector.

Intel® RAID Controllers: RAID controllers with PCI-e connector. Can be used on Intel or other server boards and systems.

• 2. Re: SASWT4I Raid Controller

Thank you for the answer it seems that that is the right RAID card for my needs. I do not need raid5 just raid0 and raid1