1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 4, 2010 11:46 AM by PeterUK RSS

Intel Matrix Rapid Storage Technology Application

PDMeat Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all, I have an issue where I have many HP desktops and workstations deployed with IMST driver and application installed (9.6.0.1014) and when the PCs are shut down dirty (powered off, not graceful shutdown) and rebooted, the IMST driver performs a "verify" on next boot. This is nice and all, but there's apparently no way to throttle the application and no obvious configuration options for the app to do this behavior or not on next boot etc.

I figured out how to click on the app's "manage" tab and cancel these rebuilds but it's useless as my users don't know and often suffer significantly-degraded performance while the verify is running.

What I was hoping for in response is:

1) This is the first RAID driver I've come across that has an application to do this. Why? Shouldn't the hardware be handling this as a low priority task? Why is the CPU getting involved and why is it a high priority process that significantly impacts users? Seriously. Users are not happy so I'm not happy.

2) Is there any config file, registry entries or documents that explain what an admin like myself can do to control this behavior better? Ideally I want this to be a low-priority background process that doesn't impact the user and (gasp) can't Intel just write the app to wait for a lull in user activity and then run the process? (eg when people go home, to lunch etc). Forced on a next boot is BS.

Thanks

Pete

• 1. Re: Intel Matrix Rapid Storage Technology Application
    PeterUK Community Member
    Currently Being Moderated

If you are not happy with this desktop RAID that is not a true hardware RAID type that does not have the bells and whistles of a fully hardware RAID solution I think it might be best to look at another RAID solution that is to your needs.

You say verify and rebuilds these are two different things:

verify will degrade performance a bit but cancelling it will not it will only not repair the array.

rebuild is when a disk has failed performance will be degraded if you don't run it or run it with a replaced disk.

So why is this desktop RAID solution so limited and not a true hardware RAID you ask....it has a chip therefore its hardware...well no...the chip doesn’t have a CPU to run the RAID...where does the chip get a CPU from..your main CPU...how is the chip linked to your main CPU...so its a software raid with hardware that is mainly so you can boot off from.

Now why so limited if desktop RAID had it all no one will buy these fully hardware RAID card solutions...but one day desktop RAID may have these features.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...