1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2010 12:03 PM by Chrisj7

DX58SO - HD

Chrisj7

Hello, I recently purchase a DX58SO motherboard for gaming and work, I will be using a 17 980x with the DX58SO. Can somebody please recommend good hard drives to use, how many hard drives I will require and the RAID I should use. Any help is appreciated.  Kind regards, Chris

• 1. Re: DX58SO - HD
          mechbob

If you want performance out of your board , Just get one Intel SSD 160 Gig for your OS & software and one 1 TB for storage . A   SSD will out perform any RAID set up .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DX58SO - HD
            Chrisj7

Hi and thank you for your response. I was thinking of getting two X25m plus one X25-E will this work or is it to much? So Matrix storage / raid is not necessary?

• 3. Re: DX58SO - HD
              mechbob

I was sugesting the SSD for the OS and software if you want to use RAID 1 for data safty that would be good also .  Two drives need for RAID 1.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DX58SO - HD
                Chrisj7

Hello and thank you for your previous response's. After reading a lot about raid I have decided not to go in that direction. I will go with your original suggestion. Do you have any recommendation for a good 1TB HD and the size?

Kind regards,

Chris

• 5. Re: DX58SO - HD
                  mechbob

Western Digital makes what they call enterprzie class drives (  RE3  )  ( RE4 )  These last much longer than reg. drives.

• 6. Re: DX58SO - HD
                    Chrisj7

Dear Robert, thank you for your time and response. This is how I would like to have it operating. Motherboard DX58SO, SSD X25-M 160GB for OS & software, WD RE3 for storage. Does this sound okay to you or do you think I will have problems? I preferred the WD RE3 because it will only be for storage or do you think for performance I would be better of with the WD RE4 or get a second SSD for storage? This is the last component I need before I can turn it on (I hope all goes well). I have been building this for about 3 months now so appreciate the assistance and help you have given me.

kind regards,

Chris

• 7. Re: DX58SO - HD
                      mechbob

One 160GB SSD and 1 WD RE3 soudds just fine , your sys will be fast and dependable.

• 8. Re: DX58SO - HD
                        mechbob

What OS are you going to be using ??

• 9. Re: DX58SO - HD
                          Chrisj7

Hi, thanks again. OS will be Windows 7 Ultimate 64-BIT. It should be okay?

• 10. Re: DX58SO - HD
                            mechbob

Ought to be nice , just a word about ram if you do any overclocking watch out for those XMP profiles . I was working on a sys yesterday and the Intel XMP profile said 1.9 volts for the Ram and it was suppose to be 1.5 . So Intel was wrong . I'm just saying read all the specs. Good luck.

• 11. Re: DX58SO - HD
                              Chrisj7

Hello and thank you for your advice. I was wondering if you would know what is the deference between Intel SSDSA2MH160G2R5 AND SSDSA2MH160G2K5? If not would you know where I could find it?

Kind regards,

Chris

• 12. Re: DX58SO - HD
                                mechbob

One is a kit with mounting bracket and the other is just a drive , ( K ) is the kit.

• 13. Re: DX58SO - HD
                                  Chrisj7

Hi, I finally have the system up and running but in my rush to get the system running I think I have made a blunder with the hard drives. The system recognizes both hard drives but only the SSD is operating. Can you please assist me and advice how I can get the other hard drive to work as the storage? Your help is appreciated as you have probably already realized I do not have much experience.

Kind regards,

Chris

• 14. Re: DX58SO - HD
                                    mechbob

Chris you will have go into Admin tools in control panel go to disk mang. and inishilize the other HD give it a letter and format the drive , there is a wizard that will guide you through this , than you can use the other drive. Merry Christmas. Bob.

1 2 Previous Next