1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 7:10 AM by

Intel Modular Server, extremely low disk performance

Good day to all.

Got stuck up with a problem. We obtained a new intel modular server chasis, filled it up almost to a maximum, and were ready to deploy.. but - got stuck up with an unusual problem - disk performance was way too offset, and way to slow.

My config is as follows:

1x MFSYS25 (the main unit itself)

2х AXXSCM3S (modular server storage controller module)

2x AXXSW1GB (modular server gigabit Ethernet switch)

1x Intel modular server management module

14x HDD(seagate SAS 300gb ST9300603SS)

6x MFS5520VI (compute modules)

Compute modules config(identical on all of them)

2x Xeon X5650

2x 8Gb DDR-III ECC (KVR1333D3D4R)

1x Mezzanine Card (INAXXGBIOMEZV)

What i did: Created one 7 disk pool, and created one RAID0 array that utilizes all the available disk space in that pool, pls see the screenshot attached(layout.png). (BTW - i'm unable to insert an image into a forum message, sorry for that..)

Connected the RAID0 disk to a server, which has a  clean Win 2008 R2 installation with only drivers installed. An ran some  tests.. The results are drastically low.. Speeds are only about 45MB/s  peaking at 50MB/s.. and that is for RAID0 7disk array!!!.. Pls see the  test screens attached (test1 & test2).

All the drivers and the firmware are up to date,  the platform firmware is of the latest 6.5, and the drivers are latest  from an intel support site. Any ideas how to resolve this mystical low  performance issue? I'm unable to use the server platfrom, as i do need a  lot of disk performance, to satisfy my hyper-v and DB clustering  needs... Thx a lot in advance for helping in resolving this issue!