5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 1:30 PM by john_s@intel

Adding memory to older motherboard

JohnB352

I have a Intel SE7221BK1-E motherboard running Windows Server 2003 standard, with 2 gb of RAM.  I'd like to upgrade it to 4gb.  I believe it needs to be added in pairs.

But I'm concerned about what I read in this document:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/ta71902.pdf

It talks about not all 4 gb being recognized by the OS.  But then it says something about fixing the problem

Intel Server Board SE7221BK1-E system BIOS will be updated to properly indicate the following information screens augment memory configuration characteristics for the Intel Server Board SE7221BK1-E

The motherboard has 2 blue and 2 black memory slots.  Usually the different colored slots means RAM has to be installed in pairs.  But the page on Intel's site doesn't mention it: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/server/se7221bk1-e  How can I be sure that it needs to be added in pairs?

And how can I find out if all 4 gb will be recognized?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Adding memory to older motherboard
          john_s@intel

John,

You can find information on the SE7221BK1-E here:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/server/se7221bk1-e

Specifically the Product User Guide and Technical Product Specification.

Regards,

John

• 2. Re: Adding memory to older motherboard
            JohnB352

Thank you but... the link you provided is the same link I have in my post.  It doesn't answer my questions.

• 3. Re: Adding memory to older motherboard
              john_s@intel

John,

The link provided is the home page for the SE7221BK1-E server board. I referred you to the product user's guide and technical product specification for more information. Those documents are buried beneith the home page. For populating memory, specifically from the technical product specification:
              In order to operate in Dual Channel Dynamic Paging Mode, the following conditions must be met:
              • 2 identical DIMMs are installed, one each in DIMM_1A and DIMM_1B
              • 4 identical DIMMs are installed (one in each socket location)

If you chose not to operate the system in Dual Channel Dynamic Paging Mode you can install memory one DIMM at a time, but they need to be populated in this order: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. Match DIMMs in the same Channel. Minimum configuration is 256MB using one 256MB DIMM.

Regarding the TA, its noting an issue where the addressable memory space available to and reported by the Operating System is less than the actual installed memory due to system resources requirement addressing which overlaps physical memory below 4 GB. With 4 GB of physical memory installed, the OS will report available memory only slightly above 3 GB. With 3 GB of physical memory installed, slightly below 3 GB of available memory. You still will have more memory with 3 and 4 GB installed, just not the full amount due to the limitation noted.

Regards,
              John

• 4. Re: Adding memory to older motherboard
                JohnB352

If you chose not to operate the system in Dual Channel Dynamic Paging Mode

Is this an option that I can set in the BIOS, to not be in Dual Channel Mode?

You still will have more memory with 3 and 4 GB installed, just not the full amount due to the limitation noted.

Ok, from the wording in the PDF, I thought this limitation would be "corrected in the future", with a BIOS update I was assuming.  But apparently that is not the case.

Thanks for the helpful information.

John

• 5. Re: Adding memory to older motherboard
                  john_s@intel

Information about the specific BIOS settings and screens for the SE7221BK-E is available in the Technical Product Specification.