5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 1:03 AM by nalindes

Should I update my Intel Motherboard drivers?

nalindes

I possess a PC which have Intel D945GCNL Motherboard and Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 Operating System. I am a Home PC user and my PC is also supported with 32-bits in display and DirectX 9.0c version for multimedia.

My question:

Is it OK to update drivers from Intel download center?

For an example:

(1) Now, I have Realtek HD Audio Driver 5.10.0.5404 in my PC. Intel download center indicates that for Intel D945GCNL motherboard with Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS, there is a latest audio driver (released 09/23/2010) called Realtek ALC Audio Driver, which installs the Realtek audio driver version 6196. Is it OK to download this new driver?

(2) Now, I have Realtek Ethernet LAN Driver 5.664.205.2007 in my PC. Intel download center indicates that for Intel D945GCNL motherboard with Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS, there is a latest LAN driver (released 08/02/2010) named as version 5.764. Is it OK to download this new driver?

(3) Likewise, should I update the graphics driver version, too?

Please give me your wisdom, advice, comments for this problem!

• 1. Re: Should I update my Intel Motherboard drivers?
          Flying_Kiwi

Please give me your wisdom, advice, comments for this problem!

You use the word problem but is having newer drivers arrive on the scene really a problem? Does the PC work well as it is? Can you do everything with it that you expect it to do? You have quite an elderly motherboard and often the changes that are incorporated in new drivers are aimed specifically at supporting newer hardware from the same manufacturer or for cosmetic or GUI related reasons. You can always check out the readme that comes with the Intel provided drivers to see what the changes are and help decide for yourself if it's worth the effort.

Personally I always try out newer versions of drivers and even BIOS versions but on rare occasions that has caused problems (eg the newer BIOS versions for my DG45ID motherboard have problems / issues introduced by additional powersaving support for my E8500 CPU) so I reverted.

With such an old board running an old OS, if it was playing up/having reliability issues and it's been some time since the OS was last reinstalled, I'd make plans to upgrade the BIOS and then back up all the data and get all the latest drivers so a from the ground up reinstall (or image restore if the PC came with a factory restore option) can be performed. If there are no problems at the moment I'd leave it as-is until one day, the above is needed.

• 2. Re: Should I update my Intel Motherboard drivers?
            nalindes

Dear Sir,

I thank you very much for your reply and valuable support.

Now, I have a priority question on BIOS update. During boot, I entered the BIOS setup by pressing 'F2' and checked the current BIOS version of my PC's Intel D945GCNL motherboard and found it as "NL94510J.86A.0010.2007.0523.1650." As the third segment of the BIOS version is the current BIOS version I realized that my current BIOS version is 0010. Then, I examined this version through Intel download center by clicking and navigating, Desktop Boards -> Intel 945 Express Chipset Family Boards -> Discontinued Products -> Intel Desktop Board D945GCNL, and thereafter clicking and navigating again, Windows XP Professional -> BIOS and understood that I have the Initial production BIOS release for my PC's Intel D945GCNL motherboard, which was released on May 23, 2007.

Intel download center indicates that for Intel D945GCNL motherboard with Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS, there is a latest BIOS version NL94510J.86A.0036.2009.1231.1407, stated as BIOS version 0036 and released on December 31, 2009. Is it OK to download this new BIOS version?

The reason to ask this BIOS update was caused by a sudden severe error in  my PC, which has the genuine version of Windows XP Professional (Version 2002, Service Pack 3). It encountered a severe error when I inserted a "3G USB-modem Huawei E1550 HSDPA USB Stick" (compilation firmware), that was supplied by a Mobile Broadband Service here, in my PC. That sudden error had the potential to blackout display and showed a Windows Error Message and thereafter screened a Microsoft Support Webpage saying "Consider updating the BIOS version."

Dear Sir, I am not familiar with the Computer Software/Hardware. Please help me in this matter.

With Best Regards,

G. A. K. Nalin De Silva,

Sri Lanka.

• 3. Re: Should I update my Intel Motherboard drivers?
              Flying_Kiwi

Nalin De Silva wrote:

Intel download center indicates that for Intel D945GCNL motherboard with Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS, there is a latest BIOS version NL94510J.86A.0036.2009.1231.1407, stated as BIOS version 0036 and released on December 31, 2009. Is it OK to download this new BIOS version?

It looks like that version is indeed correct for your board and if you download the Express Install version and (following the comprehensive instructions) run it to upgrade your BIOS, it may address the problem you're experiencing. Make sure you do follow the correct BIOS update procedures such as disabling any antivirus software during the BIOS upgrade (flashing) process and ensuring the PC has no extra peripherals (other than monitor, mouse and keyboard) plugged in when you flash the BIOS. It's important that you don't have a power failure while the flashing/upgrade process is running so if you have an Uninteruptable Power Supply then power the PC through that during the process.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Should I update my Intel Motherboard drivers?
                Curious592

Now would be a good time to check your upload/download speeds through your ISP or at speednet.com (they are probably the same).  I say this because I believe some controllers may not deliver Gigabit speeds in a few years.  I wouldn't expect speed changes after the LAN driver update however.  Any update that is not compatible should be rejected by the installer.

• 5. Re: Should I update my Intel Motherboard drivers?
                  nalindes

Dear Sir,

Today, I successfully updated the BIOS version of my PC’s Intel D945GCNL motherboard with latest BIOS version NL94510J.86A.0036.2009.1231.1407, stated as BIOS version 0036 and released on December 31, 2009.

I would like to commend you for your efforts and praise your commitment to support Home PC users/IT personnel by maintaining a high level of excellence through collaboration with the Intel Corporation.

May you be successful in whatever you do in the future & may you be able to achieve your goals with ease!!

With Best Regards,

G. A. K. Nalin de Silva,

Sri Lanka.