10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2010 9:58 AM by Bruno.H.

D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected

Bruno.H.

I am aware that one of mine oldies (discontinued product), the Intel D865GBF rev.A2 MBO (newest available BF86510A.86A BIOS; Intel System Identification Utility Reference Number: 0016 4123) has Intel End of interactive Support from the mid 2007…

Nevertheless, I have a problem with this particular MBO, that maybe can have an solution, so, I am asking here…

The problem is that every single external AGP VGA Card which I connect via this MBO, and despite installed Windows OS environment (Win2000Pro SP4, Win XPProSP3 32-bit, Win7 32-bit), all this operative systems freezes on some excessive tasks (e.g. during excessive Software Updating, installing Software, playing most of the games…, antimalware scanning just before he need to post an end-report on the screen, etc…)

Later, when I look up in the Windows Event logs, it says, Computer hangs because power failure

I already try and changed the PSU, now this PC has totally new and totally uneded 550Watts PSU... I changed old memory also, now it has 512x4=2GB of DDR(1) memory… The Malware is not a problem also, since I test all this with 3 different HDDs and 3 different and clean, upper mentioned Os's…

At last, I try all this with the few different and external AGP8x VGAs, for e.g.: PowerColor HD 3650, 512MB DDR, AGP8x VGA…, or with Leadtek WinFast (nVidia) 6600TD, 256MB 128-bit DDR VGA…, all with newest drivers available and with Up-to-date MS DirectX, and yes, I connect the power wire on VGA also…

In short, despite changing few different and external AGP VGA models, the freezing problem still remains…

At last, I try to unplug any external AGP8x VGA from this PC, and configure this PC that he temporary works on, just via Intel integrated graphics on this MBO…

2GB of memory stays in, the MS Win7 32-bit is still running…

Then I try to work normally on this PC…, antimalware scanning also…, and…, the problem with PC freezing was gone for good! It was not reviled, not once, during 6 test days time period! 

But, I put back an external AGP8x VGA (I repeat, I try few different of them), and the freezing problem, every few hours, is back all here. 

------------

Since I already changed HDD (I try also SATA & PATA HDDs all here), memory, PSU, Operative system, few different and external AGP VGAs also all here...

Finally, this leads to me that only the MBO BIOS can be a problem (and I have the newest one…), or the MBO itself…

I just did not change the MBO, and the CPU (Intel Celeron 2.80GHz by the way...)

The undesirable electric shock was also not a problem all here, since this PC is from the first day protected with APC UPS…

Well, maybe someone will have some other idea, what might be wrong…

Thanks everybody for help in advance!

Message was edited by: Bruno.H.

Message was edited by: Bruno.H.

• 1. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
          Curious592

Unclear card history but you have a bad slot now.  The UPS primarily protects up to the power supply and any power supply protection is also focused on power it supplies.  The UPS probably does not ship in an anti-static bag since the battery needs to be connected.

• 2. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
            Bruno.H.

Thank you for your reply Curious592!

I just note that I have an APC UPS as a by the way info, because I want to note that on this PC, for years by now, I have never had any bad electrical discharged or similar, so this is probably not a problem all here - bad electric shock, storm hit, etc......

An again, it can be a bad one AGP slot because this MBO is quite old so he can go down..., or it is maybe manufacturing error on this particular slot, because I never use it at all, all till before one month ago...

I do not know...

What I know, I already wrote till the every single detail... 

Maybe I miss something, so maybe someone is smarter than me...

Last note, the external AGP VGAs which I mentioned before all here, just normally work on second Intel MBO and third Gigabyte MBO which I also have...

• 3. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
              Bruno.H.

The two AGP VGAs which I upper mentioned, first has 256MB of its memory, and second has 512MB of memory...

The above, also mentioned Intel MBO BIOS settings for AGP Aperture size was settled to 64MB all the time...

Before two days ago, I try to set this AGP Aperture Size to 128MB, the PC still freezes but much rarely.

Then I set AGP Aperture size to 256MB (this is maximum), and, as this "experiment" goes further, PC did not yet freeze, not once from then...

So, I think it is a BIOS problem...

I will try to left this AGP Aperture size to 256MB, and see how things goes further in next few days...

What I found in general over Net about AGP Aperture size, it says that it must never be less then 16MB,

and that it can be equal to the VGA Memory size, but it is no point to put it in more amount then that very same VGA Memory size...

And if I found something else relative all here, and/or if I will see that this 256MB AGP Aperture Size is really fine and helpful all here,

I will post that also in next few days again here, to be useful info for the future, or for others which maybe will have the same problem…

• 4. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
                Curious592

Sounds like that was your problem.  The CPU and hard drive would have some affect, possibly more for AGP cards.  As far as I know 256MB is standard for most systems with PCIe cards or integrated graphics.  Older systems used 64 or 128MB (Win98 or older).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
                  Bruno.H.

Yes, I also think so!

I will try to give computer few and repeat demanding tasks in next few days...

It's funny; any stress benchmarking software was not giving me any freezing before (for. e.g., I try Passmark BurnInTest Pro 6 and some others, run all tests, at least 6 or 7 times)…

Very demanding 3-D Screensaver also did not give me any freezing before (Alan Kapler & Spiral Monkey Software Dream Aquarium Screensaver 1.7, I put to play all night long)...

Compressing the WinRAR archive from 4 to 3.2GB also did not revile the freezing, not once, and I try few times…

The memory benchmarking also did not initiate freezing or any errors whatsoever, not once…

But, indeed, Windows Update process frozen at the very end once when he requested PC restart, but everything was installed luckily correctly…

And the Windows 7 Event Viewer, every time after freezing was reporting power failure...

All that leads me to totally different conclusions before, since freezing happens more infrequently and sporadic, without obvious logic or pattern…

I even was thinking it is a PSU short circuit wire problem on some of connections (bad molex connector, or even bad HDD SATA wire and similar…)

Well, I discovered some software that it is "heavy Titanic triger" for this kind of demanding task to this computer, it is a Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2009 FREE…

I repeat I do not have a Malware infection on this PC, so, the Malware is not making those freezing's at the end of the AntiMalware scans… The freezing's probably happening during the Full Scan with Lavasoft Ad-Aware, because his excessive scanning table list fulfills the max memory size, and then, quite often, PC freezes…

Well, as I said earlier, I will post my further results within a next few days all here…

Once more Curious592, thank you for your kindest Reply!

• 6. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
                    Curious592

If this is a new problem you probably have some hardware aging that will get worse.  I never managed to install an old AGP card even with changes to the aperture on my last non-DIY computer.  Watch your voltages too.  Could be power supply or memory controller hub since updates should not be a problem unless you multitask.

• 7. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
                      Bruno.H.

Well, now this PC has newest 550W PSU and all the wires (SATA, PATA and etc..) are replaced with totally new ones, like I said...

And the Hardware on this PC is simple and just the basic: 1 DVD-RW Unit (1 week old), Floppy,

a new 500GB SATA HDD (I try all that even with one older PATA 40GB HDD with MSWinXPProSP3 and all that with the MSWin7Ult32-bit also),

MBO, AGP VGA (I try few different of them), Intel Celeron CPU 2.8GHz, 512x4=2GB of Memory (I try all this with only 512MB of Memory), and that's it.

All Fans/Coolers runs just fine also...

So, this is not so full hardware stuffed PC..., and 550W PSU is even too much all here…

Nope, despite changing AGP Aperture Size to max. (256MB), I still have freezing's, but it is much rare than before.

- Now it happens, prox. one time per 2 days with this 256MB AGP Aperture Size set up, and before, before I setup AGP Aperture Size to 256MB, it freezes 3-6 times per only one day.

I do not know what else I can try;

I still think that it is something with the MBO or its BIOS (and I already installed the newest available BIOS for this MBO, before some two years ago...)

Since this MBO is an oldie, I sincerely doubt that the creation of any new version of BIOS Update via Intel Corp. is possible all here at all...

• 8. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
                        Curious592

5 weeks after adding a PCIe graphics card to my 965WH board the power supply and hard drive died.  I used the board regularly for over a year with integrated graphics with no problem and only recently retired it.  An older card moved from my XP system showed too many artifacts.  No one sells a single slot to repair the board and no repairs are practical.  It is best to get a graphics card with a new board and options are better now for reasonably priced cards.  Unless your applications and games lock you into OEM XP/Win2000, that is what I would suggest.  Sandy bridge systems will move a lot into the CPU, like memory controller and encoding, some have CPU integrated graphics.  Your usage suggests that current systems would suffice.  The 2-year old DG45ID is already showing limitations in expansion and audio compatibility and is not warranted.  External or internal adapters are available for printers.

This has made me realize that adding any 6-pin power cable for the card may be critical.  The slot can only deliver 75 watts.  I suspect I failed to do that and the card would not run without the cable.  Even at idle that may damage the slot.

No such connector for that card.

• 9. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
                          Curious592

One last comment regarding your original post.  My failure occured with moderate multitasking of several applications and Word documents open.  Background tasks were running such as updates.  Why the graphics card would be affected is not clear but I do less ambitious multitasking now and don't miss it with two computers handling different tasks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: D865GBF MBO & any installed WinOS freezes when any external AGP VGA is connected
                            Bruno.H.

Sorry, I did not reply for a more then a week. I just need some extra days to investigate all this with the MBO to the last...

In my case, it is not the problem only with Multitasking, I can live with that, but, for me, it will freeze almoust in 90% of tryings to do a Scandisk, Defragmenting..., AntiMalware scan...

So, before two days ago, I replace this MBO with another model, more newer.

I figured, if I can even do an AntiMalware scan sucesfully, that is something that I cannot berried, consider the case that IT Security is my field of work...

So I just replace it. I also believe that this is the old BIOS problem which will never be fixed, considered this MBO is oldie...

Once more, thank You for all of your Replies here, I really appreciate the help!