Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14508 Discussions

quadcore problem

idata
Employee

Hi

my pc recently turned off by itself and wouldnt turn back on. I replaced the psu (650 watt) and i got some life, everything works for about 1 min and then powers off.

I have tried running the pc with just cpu installed( no ram, graphics or drives) and it does the same. So i bought a new motherboard (asus p5k se) but i have the same problem. I have noticed that one of the plasic pins on the stock intel cpu cooler is damaged so doesnt fully press the cooler onto the cpu. Are these symptoms of a fried processor or one thats getting hot and is shouting for a new heatsink and fan

getting desparate now, any help greatly appreciated

My cpu is a q6600

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TIM_S_Intel
Employee

This is not a symptom of a "fried" processor. It could be the processor shutting down due to being too hot. If your FHS pins need to be replaced you can replace them of get a new FHS with TIM.

Your FHS/processor needs to have some force and TIM for proper thermal heat transfer or the processor will get hot and (prochot) will shut it down.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks for the reply tmsimmon. how long does it take for a quadcore to het up to dangerous levels as my machine turns off after about a minute.

TIM_S_Intel
Employee

Contach Intel CUstomer Support and have them send you out a pack of push pins. ..."one of the plasic pins on the stock intel cpu cooler is damaged so doesnt fully press the cooler onto the cpu." Yes that could be your problem and have them send out some TIM too!

0 Kudos