Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

IDE remote boot to Win7 ISO results in unexpected IO error

idata
Employee

I posted this question in the experts sub-group, but have yet to receive an answer, so trying in this group:

/thread/15948?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/15948?tstart=0

Hi, I am having problems remote booting to a mounted Windows 7 ISO install image.

DELL OptiPlex 980, BIOS A04, default BIOS settings, ME/AMT configured.

Remote KVM using VNC Viewer Plus 1.1.0 on Win7 x64.

Connect using VNC, mount Win7 Ultimate x64 ISO image, select reset and boot to DVD.

System reboots, boot message stating booting from remote IDE, see press any key to boot from CD boot message, press space.

Window encountered a problem communicating with a device...

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

I tried booting a Win7 ISO and a W2K8R2 ISO, same problem.

If however I boot to a Win XP SP3 ISO, it boots fine.

How do I configure the system to remote ISO boot a Win7/W2K8R2 image?

P.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jacob_G_Intel
Employee

It seems there is a file size limit on the .iso for the existing IDER library (IMRSDK.dll). This is why Win7, and other DVD .iso files are failing. The latest library has been correct, but it will take time before console vendors, such as RealVNC release a new version with the new library.

In the mean time, if you want to do remote Win7 installs I'd recomend the following:

Make a share on your IDEr console.

Copy all the files from the Win7 install .iso to this share

make a small WinPE .iso with network drivers (/docs/DOC-5095 http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-5095)

IDEr boot to WinPE

From WinPE, map to the share

run setup.exe from the mapped drive.

The process above will not only work around the size limit, but will actually install much faster than doing it purely over IDEr. Hope this is a viable solution for you. Wish I had better news. Please let me know if you have more Qs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jacob_G_Intel
Employee

It seems there is a file size limit on the .iso for the existing IDER library (IMRSDK.dll). This is why Win7, and other DVD .iso files are failing. The latest library has been correct, but it will take time before console vendors, such as RealVNC release a new version with the new library.

In the mean time, if you want to do remote Win7 installs I'd recomend the following:

Make a share on your IDEr console.

Copy all the files from the Win7 install .iso to this share

make a small WinPE .iso with network drivers (/docs/DOC-5095 http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-5095)

IDEr boot to WinPE

From WinPE, map to the share

run setup.exe from the mapped drive.

The process above will not only work around the size limit, but will actually install much faster than doing it purely over IDEr. Hope this is a viable solution for you. Wish I had better news. Please let me know if you have more Qs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for the reply.

I suspected it may be a 2GB problem that slipped by dev and QA.

I don't have much hope for VNC, they don't respond to support requests...

I can use WinPE to remote install, was just trying to boot direct.

Is the new library going to be available in the SDK, i.e. an updated Manageability Commander?

I would also like the manageability terminal to not require a floppy image to be mounted when I just want to remote ISO over IDE.

Regards

P.

0 Kudos
Jacob_G_Intel
Employee

Yes, the library will be in the SDK version 7 when it's released. In theory you could grab imrsdk.dll from the SDK and just overwrite the one in RealVNC's viewer. That should correct the issue without waiting. Of course, that's not a supported fix, but it should work.

As far as requiring the floppy and CD, it's actually a firmware design to require both. Most apps hide it from the user by supplying a dummy file. However, Manageability Commander is designed to expose everything at an API level, so it requires both. I'll pass your request along, but I can't promise it will change.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, thank you, I'll wait for the SDK release.

As for the floppy, I also use a blank image.

0 Kudos