3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 10:59 PM by tedk

scc functional emulator s/w

KARTHIK

Hi,

Since our proposal is still in the evaluation phase, it would be great if we could get access to the scc functional emulator to get started with. Please let me know whether it is available for download and if so where to download it?

Thanks,

karthik

• 1. Re: scc functional emulator s/w
          tedk

Do you mean the RCCE emulator? This is part of the RCCE download which is available on our public SVN. Admittedly as RCCE develops, its emulator version sometimes lags a little behind. But the emulator version is supported and is intended to be in sync with the version that runs on SCC hardware. The RCCE emulator uses OpenMP to simulate RCCE calls.

In pre-silicon days, we ran SCC Linux under qemu. This was only for one core, however. I don't think this emulator has been used in a while. Do you want me to see if I can resurrect it?

• 2. Re: scc functional emulator s/w
            KARTHIK

Basically I am looking for some emulators as we dont have the hardware. From the RCCE slides where it says functional emulator, I thought that there is a full SCC emulator. Thanks for the clarification. I have already downloaded RCCE emulator and I could run few apps on it. It would be great if we could run SCC Linux in QEMU.

Thanks,

karthik

• 3. Re: scc functional emulator s/w
              tedk

There isn't a full SCC functional emulator. The RCCE emulator is very good and in use but emulates RCCE calls. RCCE_comm is a library built on top of RCCE by Ernie Chan from the University of Texas and it also runs on the emulator. This emulator runs on top of OpenMP.

I'll look into qemu and SCC Linux. Basically what people did was emulate one core (no message passing). In the early days, it let us check that we could build executables that actually ran. But basically, it's just that ... SCC Linux under qemu. SCC Linux (src and object) is available on our public SVN. The SCC Linux object is under tarballs in the sccKit compressed tar file http://marcbug.scc-dc.com/svn/repository/tarballs/ And so the task is to install qemu on your MCPC (or any Linux box really) and see if you can bring up SCC Linux.   I can look at that as well.