10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2010 5:01 PM by olegreen RSS

DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error

Bytesize Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

I'm using a new Intel DP55SB Motherboard with an i5-680 processor.  I've updated the BIOS to the recomended minimum version which is version 5531 and it still gives me an E6 Port 80h error code.  I've tried swapping out the processor with an i5-760 and it posts fine with that processor.  I haven't been able to find any info on the web regarding this problem. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error
    Salem_Intel Community Member

Hi!

The E6 code refers to the "connecting drivers" boot-up portion during POST; see the following URL:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025434.htm

If your Intel(R) Desktop Board DP55SB has the most current BIOS version and with another Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 Processor, the E6 code doesn't show, to begin troubleshooting, I'd recommend the following, just to make sure:

1. Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process.  Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.  Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

2. Clear the CMOS if the error code still shows up:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-010254.htm#bioschanges

Note: Make sure you leave the battery out for 20 min., at least.

• 2. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error
    bjweston Community Member

Hi!

I have a similar problem but the solution provided did not work.  I recently purchased the DP55SB motherboard with an i5-670 processor.  The motherboard would not bootup with the 670.  It kept cycling the power.  So I presume that it was a bios issue and purchased a i5-760 processor.  The processor worked and I upgraded the bios to 5531.

Now, when I replace the processor with the 670, I get a boot code error that looks like Eb (I presume its a lower case B since the top horizontal LED is not lit).  Anyway, I have disconnected the power, pulled the battery for an hour without success.

The 760 will boot up just fine.  Is my new 670 processor defective or is there a compatibility issue.  Does it have anything to do with the 670 having an integrated graphics capability but the DP55SB does not provide video ports?  I believe the EB error code is related to video bios.

Any help would be apperciated.  I really would prefer to have the 670 processor installed on this unit.

• 3. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error

Hi!

I confirm the fact the Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 Processor i5-670 contains integrated graphics (Intel® HD Graphics) should not be relevant to the problem your system's having, as the Intel(R) Desktop Board DP55SB would still require an external video card.  The fact your system reports the 'EB' POST video-related code, based on the fact you just updated the BIOS at no avail, may theoretically lie on the processor's fault.  Hence, to be 100% sure, I recommend the following:

1.Ensure your Intel(R) Desktop Board DP55SB does not have E47218-403 as the Altered Assembly Number (AA #).

2.If the AA# is indeed among the compatible ones (click here), you may then want to try your Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 Processor i5-670 out on another, compatible, testing desktop board.

• 4. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error

Thanks for the timely respond.  The Core i5-670 and DP55SB do meet the compatibility specifications (AA E47220-304 and SLBLT).

Unfortunately, I do not have another desktop board. Both products are new and sealed with Intel logos.  I've already purchased another new i5-760 just to flash the BIOS on the motherboard and will lose money trying to sell it since retailer won't accept returns.  I cann't afford to make another purchase simply to see if the processor might be defective.

Has Intel technical support actual tested these parts to ensure compatibility?  If so, could Intel make an exchange of products under warranty?  I still question whether the DP55SB is truely compatible with a Clarkdale processor. Additionally the process to troubleshoot is complex, timely and costly.  I realize that the specifications say that they should be compatible; however, I have not seen anyone confirm that they got both products to work together.

• 5. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error

Hi!

At this point, if your Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-760 Processor does work fine on your Intel(R) Desktop Board DP55SB, then, I'd recommend contacting our support Dpts. via either chat or email:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/desktop/bdb/dg35ec/support/335115.htm

• 6. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error
    Cpt.Dogfruit Community Member

What GPU are you using? it sounds like a conflict between the CPU GPU and ext GPU...

• 7. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error

Thank you for the extremely fast responses.

I'll reach out to the support department for further assistance.  In regard to my video card, I'm using a HIS ATI 5570 video card (fanless).  Additiionally, I have a Corsair 500W Modular PS if that matters.  Unfortunately the P55 board doesn't provide video ports for me to test a different video source.

I realize that Clarkdale processors are not the common choice for these boards because of the integrated video capability.  However, I was intending the build a HTPC with a good balance between performance and power usage. The DP55SB had a perfert set of features for my audio, blue tooth, and expansion slot needs.  I wanted parts that were powerful enough to crunch through HD video/TV but not too powerful to generate too much fan noise in a small case.  I was hoping that the i5-670 and DP55SB would meet my needs...

• 8. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error
    olegreen Community Member

I have the same compatibility problem.

If I use DP55SB Motherboard,

board version AAE47220-304

BIOS Version 5531

BIOS release date 5/21/2010    

i3-540, Sapphir Radeon HD 5770  Vapor-X, I get Eb error code.

If I use DP55SB Motherboard, i3-540, Radeon HD 5450, I get Eb error code too.

With relative old video card ATI Radeon X1050 (RV370) it is possible to boot successful.

I tried to reset BIOS settings to default, but it doesn't help.

Have you found any solution?

• 9. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error

Olegreen,

That's interesting that you were able to get a clarkdale processor to work using an older video card.

I've returned the i5-670 in favor of the i5-760 just so I could use the DP55SB motherboard.  Interesting enough, I was able to confirm that the i5-670 processor was functional with another motherboard; however, my needs for the DP55SB were greater than my processor choice.  So there is definately some incompatibility issues that hopefully Intel will look into for a future BIOS fix.

After I returned the 670, Intel tech support provided the following response on resolving the issue (see below).  I'm doubtful that the infromation they provided will work since my DP55SB had an older BIOS preinstalled (3xxx) and it never let me boot to the BIOS screen using the 670.  But if you have a non-clarkdale processor handy (don't we all), I suppose you can try.  I would be interested to know whether this works or not.

Best of luck....

----------------------

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

- We have performed some tests and have come up with a resolution for the problem you were havin on your Intel® Desktop Board DP55KG.

- We determined that if the I5-670 processor is used to flash the BIOS to the 5531 (Latest 5/21/2010) using the recovery method, the system will power on and off by itself and no video will be displayed.

- To fix this problem, our recommendation would be to run a BIOS Recovery to BIOS version 3878 using the I7-760, then perform another recovery to 5531 using the i5-670.

• 10. Re: DP55SB Mother board gives E6 error
    olegreen Community Member

I flashed the BIOS with "Recovery BIOS" (not express BIOS update) and it works now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...