2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 3:01 PM by Kuusje

Disk upgrade - RAID 0 to RAID 10

Kuusje

Hey there. Today I bought new hard disks because I needed more space for of my photography.
      I bought 4 disks and I want to put them in RAID 10 (or RAID 1+0). I  still have my current disks in RAID 0. What I want to do is get the data  from the RAID 0 disks, and put that on the new RAID 10 disks. So in  total I have 6 disks now - 2 disks in RAID 0 (with everything on it) and  4 new 'empty' disks that should be in RAID 10, with the data from the RAID 0 disks.
      I have 6 sata-ports, so I should be able to hook all the disks up at once if needed (can't use my DVD-rom then tho).

Now the big question is - How do I get the data from the RAID 0 disks to  the 4 new disks without loosing the RAID-settings? Is there a way to  transfer the data to the disks? I really don't want to format and start  all over...

Here's what I have tried so far:

- plugging 2 of the new disks and upgrading the 2 old + 2 new disks to a  new RAID 10. Failed because my RAID drives doesn't have an option to  ugrade from RAID 0 to RAID 10.
      - plugging in the 4 new disks, putting them in RAID 10 and then using a  Windows complete PC back-up. Failed because Windows gets confused with  the new drives (size doesn't match).

My RAID driver is from my mainboard, it's Intel Matix Storage manager v  8.7.0.1007 ich9r wRAID5 (no clue if that info is useful :P)

Thanks for the help!

System configuration:

Processor :     Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2666 MHz
      8.0 gig RAM DDR2
      2x Samsung 500 GB Sata2, RAID 0
      ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series
      Monitor Type :     Idek Iiyama PLE2407HDSD - 24 inches
      MSI 975X Platinum Motherboard
      Creative 7.1 X-fi Fatal1ty FPS Audio card
      Pinnacle PCTV 110i capture Device
      750Watt PS

• 1. Re: Disk upgrade - RAID 0 to RAID 10
          PeterUK

I have looked from MSI and review sites for this board and it only has 5 SATA ports and only 4 of them are Intel and even if you some how got a board with 6 SATA still only 4 of them are Intel as that’s the max the ICH7R want up to.

You will have to reformat and start over I don't know what new disks you have but you can only make a array upto 2TB with the ICH7R so 4 1TB drives in RAID 10 will be 2TB.

• 2. Re: Disk upgrade - RAID 0 to RAID 10
            Kuusje

Hi Peter, thank you for your fast reply. It seems things don't look too good then because I bought 4 drives, each 2TB each. Data loss and not beeing able to use the maximum ammount of diskspace seems like a bad deal to me. I'll figure something out. Thank you for your input