3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2010 11:23 AM by mokdadali

DG33TL memory upgrade

mokdadali

I bought 2 DDR2 sticks separately (from eBay) each with 2GB capacity and same speed 667MHz to upgrade my system memory from original 2GB (2x1GB Kingston 800MHz) to total 6GB. The new RAMs do not seem to work at all. If I put them in with the original 2GB they are just not seen under my computer properties or in BIOS, and if I put them alone the computer will not start at all. I am careful to put the matching RAMs in the same DIMM of channels A & B as I am supposed to. Why aren't the new RAM sticks working? I tried to see if there is anything I should change in BIOS but was not able to figure it out.

Specs of my new memory sticks:

Product DescriptionAUM DDR2 PC5300 2GB 667Mhz DESKTOP RAM
      Storage Capacity2GB
      TechnologyDDR2 SDRAM
      Form FactorLONG DIMM
      Memory Speed667MHz (PC- 5300)
      Dimm TypeUNBUFFERED DIMM
      ECC SupportNON ECC
      Pin Count240
      Chip Configuration256x4 16C
      Voltage1.8V
      WarrantyLimited Lifetime Warranty
      Low DensityNo (HIGH DENSITY)

My system:

Intel DG33TL mother board

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz

32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate SP2

Thanks!

• 1. Re: DG33TL memory upgrade
          mokdadali

It has come to my attention that it may be the "high density" of the new memory modules that is not compatible with my motherboard, I need low density instead. Does this make sense?

• 2. Re: DG33TL memory upgrade
            RJL190365

Actually, no motherboard with an Intel chipset supports any memory modules made with x4 ICs. You will need memory modules made with x8 ICs (those are "standard-density" modules). You can find low-density modules made with x16 ICs - but Intel does not support the use of double-ranked modules made of such ICs (only single-ranked modules made of x16 ICs may be used). Double-ranked memory modules to be used on any motherboard with an Intel chipset must be made with x8 ICs.

Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: DG33TL memory upgrade
              mokdadali

Thanks for the answer. I ordered replacements for the RAMs that did not work...