8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 4:01 PM by Ultra

Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions

Ultra

Hi everybody,

I recently purcahsed a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard which has an onboard Intel Raid Storage Controller.

Controller info:

The device manager lists it as "Intel(R) ICH8R / ICH9R / ICH10R / DO / 5 Series / 3400 Series SATA RAID Controller".

It has 6 SATA ports and supports up to 3GB/s.

The device works fine, RAIDS are setup through a DOS interface that can be accessed at bootup pressing Ctrl + I. There's also Intel Rapid Storage Technology software which I installed and gives you basic overview over the RAID(s) in Windows.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Since this is my first time dealing with the Intel RAID controller, I have a few questions:

(1.) I currently have a Raid 1 setup on 2 of the 6 controller. I want to expand this to a RAID 10 (using all 6 ports) without losing my data that I have in the Raid 1. Is that possible ?

--> I did not see an option to do that in the DOS config menu...

(2.) If (for whatever reason) the motherboard ever fails and I have to unplug the 6 RAID 10 HD and would connect them to a different motherboard / Sata controller, would I be able to read the data on the disks ?

Or are the disks (once configured as a RAID) only accessible through this specific Intel RAID controller ?

Thanx for your help in advance !

- M

• 1. Re: Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions
          john_s@intel

Ultra,

Although Intel makes the chipset, it gets modified for Gigabyte; some features get added, others removed. If you need one-on-one technical support for your specific issue, you would have to call Gigabyte.

I don't what storage manager you're using, but the ctrl + I is also used for Intel® Matrix Storage Technology. Here's some information on the Intel® Matrix Storage Technology:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm

Regards,
          John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions
            Ultra

John,

thanx for your reply.

So my questions cannot be answered since they are motherboard dependent ?

What about the the question if I can use the RAID disks on a different RAID controller once my mobo fails ?

Thanx for your help !

- Mike

• 3. Re: Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions
              PeterUK

(1.) I currently have a Raid 1 setup on 2 of the 6 controller. I want to expand this to a RAID 10 (using all 6 ports) without losing my data that I have in the Raid 1. Is that possible ?

--> I did not see an option to do that in the DOS config menu...

It would seem RAID migration is only supported to RAID 5 from any RAID type, RAID migration can only be done in the OS.

A 6 disk RAID 10 is listed as a Known Issue it is not likely supported by Intel to do this even though its a RAID 10 spec.

IMSM 8.9 32-bit shell.exe allows user to setup RAID (1+0)x6 arrays

To add you can not have a bootable array more then 2TB this is a hardware & software limitation unless you have EFI for hardware and the OS supports it. To make a array or partition bigger then 2TB that is not bootable you need to have a OS that supports GPT.

(2.) If (for whatever reason) the motherboard ever fails and I have to unplug the 6 RAID 10 HD and would connect them to a different motherboard / Sata controller, would I be able to read the data on the disks ?

Or are the disks (once configured as a RAID) only accessible through this specific Intel RAID controller ?

If its same, newer or capable on a Intel RAID controller thats enabled in the BIOS then yes but may not be bootable.

• 4. Re: Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions
                Ultra

Peter,

the 6TB Raid I'm building (3x2TB on each side) will not work ? That RAID does not need to be bootable... The OS rund on another RAID, different RAID controller...

I did config a 4TB (2x2TB on each side) RAID 10 on the Intel and it worked in Win 7 Ultimate x64...

A little bit confused as u said "To make a array or partition bigger then 2TB that is not bootable you need to have a OS that supports GPT."

Thanx for your input !

• 5. Re: Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions
                  PeterUK

Although Intel makes the chipset, it gets modified for Gigabyte; some features get added, others removed. If you need one-on-one technical support for your specific issue, you would have to call Gigabyte.

Gigabyte makes no changes to Intel's hardware, software or RAID ROM.

Intel® Matrix Storage Technology IS Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031456.htm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions
                    PeterUK

the 6TB Raid I'm building (3x2TB on each side) will not work ? That RAID does not need to be bootable... The OS rund on another RAID, different RAID controller...

How RAID 10 works with 6 drives is 3x 2xRAID1 and then RAID 0 across the 3 x RAID 1. The “6TB Raid I'm building (3x2TB on each side)” is RAID 0 + 1 where you have 2x 3xRAID 0 and then RAID 1 for the other 3xRAID 0.

It might be that you can't make this array in the RAID ROM BIOS but with the Rapid Storage Technology in the OS to do this if not you can ask Intel if they support it or allow it but not support it for you.

The other way you could do it is by making 3x RAID 1 or 2x RAID 0 then use Windows to RAID 0 the 3xRAID 1 or RAID 1 the 2x RAID 0.

A little bit confused as u said "To make a array or partition bigger then 2TB that is not bootable you need to have a OS that supports GPT."

Its a partition type that your Win 7 Ultimate x64 supports.

• 7. Re: Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions
                      Ultra

Peter,

yeah, I checked the Intel Storage Manager software in the OS... it allows the upgrade to a RAID 5 but not RAID 10...

will have to backup the 2TB I currently have and then start a new 6TB RAID 10...

Thanx for your help !

• 8. Re: Intel Storage Raid Controller Questions
                        Ultra

just to give a heads up for other users:

The Intel RAID Controller on the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mobo only allows a RAID 10 with a maximum of 4 drives...

very disappointing, and of course that was not stated in the product info, otherwise I would have not bought this mobo...

BE AWARE !