13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2011 10:18 AM by Guest RSS

Canonical Reference Architecture

megan_mcqueen Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Welcome to the Cloud Builder forum! Please share your feedback on the experience of using the Canonical Cloud Builder reference architecture. To track relevant discussions, follow the "canonical" tag cloud, or click on "Canonical Reference Architecture" to see all relevant conversations.

If you would like to include your discussion thread in the "Canonical Reference Architecture" tag group, use the "canonical" tag.

Feel free to ask questions or provide comments.

• 1. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture
    kim0 Community Member

Howdy everyone,

I am the Ubuntu cloud community manager. I would love to help anyone with questions around Ubuntu cloud offerings, using Ubuntu in a cloud context, or building a cloud on top of Ubuntu server (UEC). Feel free to ping me. I hope you'll have an awesome time as usual, working with Ubuntu integrated technologies

Regards

• 2. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture
    clopez43@comcast.net Community Member

I am interested on put a project (RDNA spliting) on the cloud, the interest is because it takes long time to complete any of the DNA -> RNA) may be using a cloud with several servers (without me knowing who or how the computation is done)

thanks

• 3. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture
    kim0 Community Member

Hi Caitlin,

The project you are describing sounds to me like a pretty good match for a cloud job. My understanding is that you're running a job that takes a lot of time (days?) to finish. And that you would like to run it on says 10s or 100s of servers in a cloud, to finis the computation much faster. That indeed looks doable. However, I don't agree with your sentence

(without me knowing who or how the computation is done)

because it doesn't really work that way. For splitting a long job on a cloud to succeed, you still need to have some understanding of how to split that long job across a large number of machines. A simple example, might be to split the input file in 100 pieces and assign each piece to a server. However things can get much more complicated in other cases. If you know and understand how to split your job across multiple machines to run in parallel .. let me know and I'll be sure to help you

Regards

• 4. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture

Thank you for your efforts on this.  Reading through all options and choices has made my choice very easy.  Nice job, Ubuntu, its a platform a small sys admin can understand and maintain without having to reformat my brain.  It is fairly labor intensive as some mention, however, in the end you will understand it and not have some other sophisticated software on top making the "magic" happen.

• 5. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture
    kim0 Community Member

Glad you're feeling positively about Ubuntu. Please do let me know if you need further help    

• 6. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture

yes I have the code, but is designed for certain architecture, to move to another CPU/system this is a lot of issues. My meaning was something like haddop which I can use to sort and quantify the data, I must know the API to use this tool, but which CPU/System haddop is runnning I do not care (have enought problems of my own.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture

hey..

i actually want to make a cloud of 3 databases...how should i go about it?

• 8. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture
    kim0 Community Member

Hi,

Could you please explain in much more detail what you're after. "3 databases" is not enough description    

• 9. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture

hello sir,i am currently doing my engineering and want to set a cloud in my hostel.i am interested in this and also a had try creating cloud on linux platform using ubutu but not succedded.sir please please help me i am waiting hearing from your side.

my email id is kumarmanishbit@rediffmail.com

please sir send me study matterial from where i ca start.

thanku.........

• 10. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture
    kim0 Community Member

Hi manish!

I think Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) is ideal for your needs. You can find Ubuntu's standard installation and configuration instructions at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC/CDInstall

If you need some help afterwards, try the forums

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=392

or the ubuntu-cloud mailing list

Thanks

• 11. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture
    Anand Community Member

Hi,

I am Anand and have experience working only on Mainframes, so few of my questions in this forum may be dumb.

I recently went thru the reference material on Ubuntu website as stated by Kim and found there were couple of installation process (1. thru CD and 2. text mode). Say I am going to install thru CD. Is it possible to install the CD/USB on a WIndows machine or do I need a raw machine where UEC shoudl be the only OS?

-Anand

• 12. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture
    kamalanathan Community Member

You mean to install UEC in Virtual mAchine.

I would prefer not to install as VM. \

suggest you to go for Bare metal installation,

• 13. Re: Canonical Reference Architecture

Hi Anand,

The minimum requirements for UEC is two machines. At least one of them (the one to run VMs) should have VT capable CPU. To answer your question, yes you need raw machines.    

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points