cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Win7 64 bit over 32 bit on new SSD(x-25M)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I just build a new system yesterday. I installed windows 7 32 bit by mistake on my new SSD. My questions is can I re-install 64bit over the 32 bit? Also what steps do I need to go through on SSD to clean up current window 7 version ? How do I know that TRIM function is running on my win7 ? I configured my BIOS with AHCI and PC is running fine. Please advice.

Thank You.

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just run the format command from the Win 7 install GUI and the drive will be formatted the same way that a HDD would be.

There is no way of knowing if TRIM is working but if you have the ACHI MS default driver, or better the new RST driver and you are using Win 7 you are good to go.

The fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify only tells you that the OS is sending the TRIM command and it does this by default.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Windows 7 GUI will not allow me to mat my SSD which is C: drive. Please help

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am still stuck with this one. Need help. My windows 7 DVD does not ask me option to format the drive. I need to boot either from CD or Flash Rom.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When you select the destination for the Win 7 install (this is in the setup GUI, from the DVD), you should see an "drive options (advanced)" button.

Take the above for example, is what your current partition layout would look like.

Click "drive options (advanced)" & delete both of the partitions

Assuming youre happy to use up the entire SSD, you don't need to create partitions yourself; just select the drive and let setup create the 100MB system partition and primary partition automatically.