9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 1:45 PM by Curious592

DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time

timofort
      Hi !

Since I have purchased this motherboard, I get several problems with it.

I upgraded to 0127 bios version (not tested on 0129 & 0131 yet).

My motherboard rev. is 310 (not 308). PC runs with Windows 7 x64.

Firstly, after a S3 resume, my Q8400 uses 20-25 % ressources anytime, although there is no software processus which consumes such ressources (idle processus = 99 % in task manager with all processus displayed). I must reboot PC to force CPU to go really idle when no program is running.

Secondly, under Windows, if I let Windows generic audio drivers, speakers make a loud crackling sound when PC goes to S3 or shutdown. Same thing with other speakers and other audio cable. If I install IDT drivers, this problem disappears but IDT Audio Service (stacsv64.exe) bugs a lot (optical drive is randomly unmounted when Audio Service is running).

Thirdly, BIOS sequence makes a relatively long time before booting on system HDD (~ 15-20 sec.). Any BIOS option to reduce this time ? I have a DG33TL and this time is ~ 5-10 sec.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
          skumarskp

Dear friend,

I have the same motherboard and processor and no problem at all. do one thing you should set bios as the previous state. Intel not recommended to change bios. Last two years I am using this board and processor for video editing job. search in intel site and you get the correct bios version and all thing. Thanking you.

• 2. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
            timofort

Hello skumarskp.

I don't understand your point of view.

It's a general advice to update software if there are problems with. And previous BIOS version of my motherboard has got other bugs, like repetitive awakenings (known BIOS bug until 0117 I think).

And nobody except you ever said that we shouldn't update BIOS, especially if we have troubles with it.

Instead, it's best not to update if there's no problem, which has never been the case for me with this motherboard.

Bye.

• 3. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
              Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

I think he meant put teh BIOS settings at deafult...not sure but... def worth trying if you have changed tehm at all,

I would also say  update to latest BIOS, it is always worth a try. And also i would suggest testing another OS, to see about teh audio and idle after sleep. about booting times... do you mean it takes that long to get to teh intel splash screen or to teh windows log in?

• 4. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
                timofort

Hello Captain Mario

I solved my CPU state trouble. I had to reinstall Intel Rapid Storage. In Windows event viewer, I saw a problem about iastor.sys so I thought immediatly about Intel storage drivers . Now, after a S3 resume, my CPU is really in idle mode and my optical drive stays mounted.

Otherwise, for the two other problems, I just update BIOS version to 0131.

For long time boot between Intel splash screen and Intel MEI prompt, no improvement. Always 10-15 sec time. Perhaps "boot usb devices first" enabled option could cause this long time ?

I have not tested audio problem. I will inform you later.

A new question : I enabled HPET in BIOS because many people recommend this with Windows Vista/7. Have I done ? Under Windows, no problem ...

Thanks Mario .

• 5. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
                  Cpt.Dogfruit

Cool, at least you have one solved....

from teh splash screen to the ME prompt 15 secs does seem a bit long.

teh HPE, shouldnt really have a n effect...but still try defautls BIOS settign see if anything changes if it doesnt tehn try disabling stuff like US?B boot first and other options that are not necessary, also you could disable the ME promt see how that goes.

Also what is your exact system config? what USB devies and other peripherals do you have connected?

• 6. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
                    timofort

My system config is :

DG45ID with last Intel drivers (cds & mei)

C2Q Q8400

4 X 2GB Corsair Twin2X PC6400

Gigabyte GeForce GT220 PCIE 16X - Geforce drivers 258.96 whql

HDD WD Caviar Blue 640GB (sata ahci mode)

Optical Pioneer DVR-215D (sata)

PSU Corsair HX520

Peripherals :

Mouse Logitech MX518 (usb)

Keyboard Kensington (usb)

Scanner Canon Lide 100 (usb)

Display DELL S2409W (dvi mode)

OS : Windows 7 Professional x64 with all hotfixes updated

I have disabled MEI prompt in bios configuration before my previous post

I will try to disable USB devices boot first soon.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
                      Cpt.Dogfruit

try it it may help, otherwise the only thing you can do, is strip the system completly to basics and see if the boot time is faster, if it is, then add each component at a time to she if one specific slows the boot down

• 8. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
                        mechbob

IN your BIOS make sure your hard drive with the OS is first in line in the BOOT order . that always helps shortin Boot time ,

• 9. Re: DG45ID - several problems about S3, audio and boot time
                          Curious592

Make sure your connections to the motherboard are secure, such as the power supply and CPU power cables.  Replace the mouse and the hard drive cables.  I'm using BIOS 129 and 131 with Windows 7 with this board.  The board version is not an issue.

Update - Another source to consider is the fan/heatsink.  If like me your wires were 1/4 " short you rotated the heatsink with loosened wires.  A wire became crimped and I believe this affects future performance, possibly creating a short.