Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Clarkdale Intel Graphics Monitor Detected as a Digital Televison

idata
Employee

Trying to get a new PC to go to sleep correclty. Everything works, except the monitor, which stays on. Looking at the Graphics Properties in the Intel software, I find my monitor (Hanns.G HG281) is being detected as a Digital Television with no apparent way to change it. Because of that, the monitor stays on and will not sleep. I note on the nVidia forums that people have this same problem with this monitors and some Viewsonics and Acer ones. The monitor only has an HDMI input and a VGA input. If I use the VGA input, the monitor sleeps correctly but the image quality suffers. If I connect a smaller 20" Dell monitor via the DVI port, the monitor also sleeps correctly and is identified as a Digital Monitor instead of a Digital Television. I have used both the HDMI output on the motherboard and the HDMI output to the Hanns-G to no avail.

In the nVidia world, setting a registry value overrides this treatment, but this setting isn't recognized by the Intel driver as I believe the setting is nVidia-specific. That setting is "OverrideEdidFlags0" and goes in a very specific place in the registry that I won't delve into.

I'm sure that Intel would point the finger at Hanns-G and Hanns would point to Intel. At any rate, if there's a way to get the Intel driver to treat the monitor as a Monitor instead of a television, that would PROBABLY fix it. I believe that the Intel driver sees HDMI on the other end and is making an assumption that the device must be a television and doesn't do the right thing and power down the monitor. I do note that the signal is cut (monitor displays a "check cable" message) but must still be sending power/audio/something down the HDMI cable that prevents the monitor from turning off.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
FDe_L5
Beginner

I have the same problem with the same Monitor using Intel Hd 4600 graphics. Is there any solution to this problem? I'm guessing since no one answered, this issue has been swept under the rug...

0 Kudos
Marvin_L_Intel
Employee

Hello avdork/frankyd,

The fact that the system is detecting the monitor as a TV may be related to EDID that the monitor has. The EDID (Extended display identification data) is a data structure provided by a digital display to describe its capabilities to a video source (e.g. graphics card or set-top box). It is what enables a modern personal computer to know what kinds of monitors are connected to it so the Graphics Control Panel will detect the information based on that. Now, as a troubleshooting step you can connect another HDMI monitor to it and see if it shows as monitor or television and, if possible, get a firmware or driver update for the monitor so the system can get the EDID in a better way.

Another troubleshooting step is to change the HDMI cable and get a high quality HDMI cable, making sure that the one you are getting is compatible with the system since there are different HDMI versions (HDMI 1.4 is the latest version). You can confirm the HDMI version with the computer (or motherboard) manufacturer. You (frankyd) can also get the HD Graphics 4600 driver from our site on the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors Intel® Download Center

There you need to search by operating system and select the latest.

Bear in mind that those software drivers are generic versions and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer. Intel and the computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this generic version of software drivers.

You may consider uninstalling the one that is currently installed on your computer to avoid any possible installation conflicts, which may not happen but just in case you see them is because of that.

Please let me know your findings.

Best regards,

marving_intel

0 Kudos
FDe_L5
Beginner

HI,

I've tried the things you mention. There was a huge community of people with the same monitor that had the same problem with Nvidia drivers. However there was some sort of patch that the driver would read this key "OverrideEdidFlags0" and it fixed people's problem. Probably Hanns G has some issue with the EDID... I don't know. All I do know is that with my other graphics card (Radeon HD 5570), the same monitor with the same cable went to sleep fine. The Radeon HD 5570 didn't seem to have any issue with the EDID of that monitor, but the Nvidia cards, and Intel do.. You can read up on it here http://www.tombeauchamp.com/2009/08/fix-for-hanns-g-28-monitor-and-nvidia-gpu-sleep-mode-problem/ Fix for Hanns-G 28″ Monitor and NVidia GPU Sleep Mode Problem on Vista/7 " In My Travels

If Intel is serious about fixing or providing a patch for this issue they need to understand the problem that so many NVidia users had in the link above..

Thanks,

frankyd

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Intel do not support EDID Override for now. Keep pushing our demands in

0 Kudos
myang24
Beginner

this problem just happened to me this week when it has all the while been working fine. I too noticed this Digital Television somehow appeared intermittently & it worked again, but cant seemed to trace how this appeared. I have tried rollback, disabled enable. updated driver thru Intel Driver Utility 2.6 program. I am on Win10 & HP 4-1200 Touchscreen Ultrabook all my work is stucked now.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi murfyang,

In regards to your case, please send to me the results of Intel® System Support Utility. I would try to help you with your issue.

Intel® System Support Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600

How to attach a file:

-Click on reply

-Click Use advanced editor (upper right side)

-Click Attach (lower right hand)

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
myang24
Beginner

thanks for your kind assistance

reluctantly changed the adapter & it worked!

took 2 days pulling hairs but learn alot

thanks once again

0 Kudos
myang24
Beginner

hi mike, I have anthr problem now. it seems that my extended monitor color calibration is completely out. I have tried the advanced display settings going through color calibration. adjusting gamma, brightness,contrast.. noticed that i can't 'put' the red color back. so need your assistance again..

the red tabs in this screen capture is there but in my extended monitor screen it showed up as almost black..

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi murfyang,

I suggest you to reset graphics settings to default then, customize monitor settings. You can do it pressing + + F8

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
myang24
Beginner

hi Mike, did the following:

1) control panel

2) select Display

3) advance display setting

4) select adapter/monitor

5) uninstall the driver

6) rebooted

as you can see, it's still the same:

I also tried reinstalling & update the driver, same problem. Thanks greatly for your kind patience!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi murfyang,

Reset Windows display settings (Color Calibration) then, reset Intel graphics settings.

The issue is happening with the second monitor. Let me know brand name and model of it, type of video cable and adapter that you are using.

Please send me the results of Intel® System Support Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
myang24
Beginner

hi Mike, tried using another laptop & had the same problem.

so isolated: laptop not the problem. down to either monitor or the cga to vga cable.

change VGA cable, solved the problem!

apologies for taking up so much of your time.

Thanks again!

from singapore

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi murfyang,

Thank you for your feedback; I am glad you were able to fix the issue.

Mike C

0 Kudos