14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 2:23 PM by parsec

Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC

pare

On the specification (Intel) it says DDR3 1333/1066 MHz DIMMS.

Does this mean that I can use RAM with 1333 MHZ or RAM with 1066 MHz.

Pardon me if this is a st..id question.

The one Kingston recommend is a KVR 1333 D3NG/2G but I can't get it at Tiger Direct (My cousin is coming to Aruba and she can buy it there)

The one I (My cousin) can get at Tiger Direct is a KVR 1066 DS/2GR 

I allready spent 130,= dollar on a set of RAM that might be the wrong ones.

Any help please!

• 1. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

It would be best if you could memory that is on the intel tested list:http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dh55tc/sb/CS-030954.htm

Otherwise just make sure your ram meets these specifications:

• Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support
          • Support for non-ECC, unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with x8 organization
          • 16 GB maximum total system memory (with 2 Gb memory technology)
          • Minimum total system memory: 1 GB using 1 Gb x8 module
          • Serial Presence Detect
            • DDR3 1333 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
            • 1 GBSS1 Gbit1 GB x 8 / empty8
              2 GBDS1 Gbit1 GB x 8 / 1 GB x 816
              2 GBSS2 Gbit2 GB x 8 / empty8
              4 GBDS2 Gbit2 GB x 8 / 2 GB x 816

to answer your question yes you can use either 1333 or 1066 DDR3,

• 2. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
            pare

Hi, Cpt. Dogfruit.

Thanks for your reply,

I just ordered a kingston value ram that has everything on Intel's list except for the serial presence detect.

Maybe it has it but don't mention it. I wonder how important (crucial) this serial precense detect is for this mobo.

I will let you know how it turned out. I just hope I did'nt buy the wrong one again.

Thanks again,

Patricia.

• 3. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
              mechbob

SPD is always important for the ram to run at the right speed.

• 4. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                pare

Hi, Robert Gifford.

Does this means that my mobo will still start eventhough the ram does'nt have that spd.

And that this speed issue won't affect it's performance.

I sure hope so.

Thanks.

Patricia.

• 5. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                  Curious592

Robert must be busy.  If you already have 1333 you should get more 1333 or all of the memory would run slower, at best.  SPD would set all to the lower speed but then your performance will be slower.  The matched memory which comes in sets is probably only important for overclocking but I get that anyway.

• 6. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                    pare

Hi Curious 592,

Right now I have nothing, well since I bought the wrong one (it was one with 1.65 v) I am back to nothing again,

and the thing is the suppliers does'nt give you a wide spread information on the specs of the items that you wan't to buy.

Up until now I was not able to find one that tells me that it has the spd. By the way I am not planning to overclock.

Thanks.

Patricia.

• 7. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                      Curious592

Any supplier information may be wrong so it is safest to go to the manufacturer's site to check for compatibility and specs.  The SPD info should be mentioned for each RAM.  Overclocker grade RAM may not have SPD since it isn't really needed by the user.  I think some manufacturers only make SPD RAM for average consumers.  It is particularly usefull when adding RAM that may not be the same speed.  The BIOS can also change to allow different speeds, sizes and totals.  The voltage is very important since even CPUs can be damaged.  The Intel list of tested RAM can be pretty limited and the first available RAM may not be the best.  Their timing spec is usually critical however.

• 8. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                        pare

Well Curious, it was kingston's site that gave me the advice on the KVR1333D3N9/2G

also the KVR1066DS/2GR when I gave the mobo model, but they do'nt mention anything about the spd.

I will keep looking and let you know about my findings.

Thanks for your support.

I really appreciated it.

Patricia.

• 9. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                          mechbob

Most Modern Ram has spd , the important thing is the ram for your board has to be 1.5 volt.

• 10. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                            mechbob

AS far as purchasing the right ram NewEgg is one of your best online resources.

• 11. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                              mechbob

Yea had a Doc. Appt. But I'm back.

• 12. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC

Mistakenly purchased Gskill DDR3-1600 MHz RAM will it work in the DH55TC which is limited to DDR3 1333 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs?

CAS Latency     9-9-9-24-2N
                                Speed     DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
                                Test Voltage     1.5 Volts
                                Unbuffered
                                Non-ECC
                                240-pin DIMM

Note: This Gskill RAM is also currently being used in a i5-750+DP55KG system.  Purchased more of the same RAM on sale for a yet to be delivered i3-530+DH55TC system without checking the RAM specifications although I knew it needed low voltage 1.5V or less.

Searching this forum and it appears historically it is not recommended but it should work.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/15718;jsessionid=931F3CE449B7DD506A4A4D2F01AFA5A0.node7COM

DH55TC - seems the latency is important 9 or 10.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/14644;jsessionid=FCB8AFF94FFB60F205321561B29B2D6B.node7COM

Anyone have any experince with this?

Thanks,

• 13. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                                  Curious592

BIOS updates in some cases enable using faster FSB and RAM so reasonably priced faster RAM may be a good idea.  The net effect may not always be an advantage as with using a Q8300 1333 vs the Q6600 1066 with comparable net speed.  What is interesting to me is what will happen with latency and heat in new Sandy Bridge systems.  Integrated graphics and PCI-e bus should benefit from reduced latency although the size of the board still limits input/output.   The integrated memory controller is more difficult to predict regarding latency which tends to rise with faster RAM.  The warranty and support as well as system health are put at risk when using components that don't meet specifications.  I haven't seen any comments about the limits of SPD.

• 14. Re: Advice on the use of R.A.M with mobo DH55TC
                                    parsec

HI pare,

I spent (wasted) a lot of time looking for memory with SPD mentioned in the specifications, as Intel stated they required for the Intel motherboard I have.  I learned that while most memory manufactures do not mention SPD, their memory modules include SPD data and it is populated with the appropriate data.  I have yet to see a memory module that does not have the SPD data filled in, when I use various hardware monitoring tools.  Actually, there are multiple sets of SPD data in the memory, as called for by the JEDEC specification, each for different memory speeds.

Here is an example of the SPD data:

Capture01.PNG

The SPD data can be seen in the lower right side of the image.  Notice that the EPP (Enhanced Performance Profile) data is populated, used with DDR2 memory.  With DDR3 memory, you should see an XMP profile as well (sorry, not on my i7/DDR3 PC right now.)  Those profiles are the high performance settings and not the defaults.  I believe the default or standard memory profile is the first one list, that being the 400MHz 5 5 5 15 1.80V entry, in my case.

I would not worry about the memory speed at all.  First, if a memory module can run at 1333MHz, that does not mean it must be run at that speed, it can be run fine at a lower speed.  Second, I would not be concerned about the memory running at 1066 instead of 1333.  It is much better having a PC that is up and functioning at 1066 memory speed, than one that could be running at 1333, but is not working!  Finally, the difference between the 1066 and 1333 speeds is not that great and in most cases you will not even know the difference.

When you install the memory modules, and don't adjust anything in the BIOS, they will run at the default speed, lets say that is 1066MHz.  Once the PC is running and is stable, you can go into the BIOS and change the memory speed to 1333MHz.

The only problem you may have is if the voltage spec is not right for your system.  That is more important than the memory speed, as long as the speed is in the correct range, which it is.