6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 1:17 PM by

Unreadable files, chkdsk hangs (X25-M 160GB)

ingmarkoecher

I'm having a lot of issues with a SSD that used to work just fine. It took me a long time to figure out what is wrong with my computer, and I finally narrowed it down to the SSD.

I am running Win7 x64 with the latest patches, as well as the latest firmware on the SSD.

In a nutshell, the SSD works, but several files on the SSD are unreadable. When Windows tries to read one of the corrupted files, the system will just hang. Sometimes for a minute, sometimes for 10 minutes.

Oddly enough, this usually only happens in the morning, and for the rest of the day it's fine. However, I have finally (through pure coincidence) found one file that is corrupt on the disk, and with this file, the issue is easily reproducible. If I try to copy (=read) the given file (~1Mb big) my laptop will freeze. I can move the mouse, but the HD light is permanently on and I can't do anything else on the system. Once Windows times out, all is back to normal.

I have since attempted do run a chkdsk, including the /R and /B option, and it has been stuck at the following line for about 1 hour:

CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
      21 percent complete. (25251 of 457712 files processed)

I'm not sure what to do next, other than ask for a warranty replacement and re-install my system. I'm not sure if I want to do a restore, since I can only assume that certain files are corrupt, which might include system files.

Any ideas would be welcome. This seems to be a pretty big flaw in that SSD model, and I'm still puzzled how something like this can happen on such a popular drive.

I own 3 other SSDs from different vendors, and none of them exhibit the faulty behavior of this one.

Thanks,

Ingmar.