1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 12:19 PM by brian.r.hamilton

DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310

Skyking421

My DP55WB board with I7 860 and GeForce 9600 GSP video, will not post at all with BIOS updates 293 or 310.

The BIOS 251 does work OK.

When I update to the newer bios versions, the power and HD lights blink, but the monitor remains asleep (no video).

The updates indicate "success" and I have even tried using "restore bios" to install them with the same, no post, result.

Yes, I tried the "no boot diagnostic" and the "remove bios battery" methods, but no luck there.

I use "restore bios" to go back to version 251 and all seems normal again.

I'd like some of the features of the new bios, but I'm stuck, so far.

Thanks for any help.

Hasn't anyone had a similar problem when updating the BIOS?

• 1. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
          shamu35

I have the same problem with a Zotac Nvidia 9400 GT video card on the same board.

I think it's a bug in the bios from version 293 and newer. I hope there will be a new bios soon which will fix this.

Does someone else have the same problem or does someone know where I can report this bug to Intel?

• 2. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
            fabionitto

I have the same problem with an 8600GT. I updated to 0310.

How many memory sticks are u using?

It seems the problem is with the memory configuration. My system works fine with just one stick on mobo, but when adding another one, this problem shows up. check my "DP55WB 2 Memory stick problem" post.

• 3. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
              shamu35

I'am using 2 memory sticks 2x2GB.

I don't have time at the moment to flash again and test it with only one stick.

• 4. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
                fabionitto

Im guessing its really a bug with the newer versions.

Ill downgrade to 251 and see if it will work out.

If someone is having this same problem, try booting up with just one stick to see if it works.

• 5. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
                  fabionitto

So I downgraded my system to BIOS 251 and it all works great now. Even with 2 memory sticks.

So im guessing the problem is really a bug on 293 or 310 BIOS on memory configuration

• 6. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
                    shamu35

Yes, Bios 251 works for me too but this one has an other bug. WOL (Wake on LAN) does not work with this version. This feature is necessary in our working environment so I'm still have to use version 165.

I really hope that Intel will release a bug free new bios soon!

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310 or 312
                      shamu35

Unbelieveable, Intel released a new Bios Version 312 and still the same problem!!

So come on Intel, why aren't you reading your own forum? We are testing your SW and Bios, give you feedback about problems and what is happening?....Nothing!!

I' am really disappointed

Additional Info:

The problem appears only if I use 2 memory sticks 2x2GB. If I remove one stick, the board is booting fine. It seems to be a problem with 4GB memory configuration and some Video cards.

• 8. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310 or 312

Have you tried 2 different RAM sticks? I have 2 Kingston sticks in my system and it works just fine.

• 9. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
                          Boyet

I did not have any problem with bios version 293 and 0310. However 0312 resulted in some minor bug that needs to be addressed in future bios update. My video card is a Radeon 4670. This is the difference between you system and mine. But I could not ascertain if this is the reason for your problem with the bios.

• 10. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310 or 312
                            shamu35

@Mitch

Thanks for your respond.

How much RAM do you have totally with your 2 Kingston sticks?

I think the problem is if I use 4 GB ram and with certain video cards with certain video ram. The video cards using memory adresses just below 4 GB and I think there is a compatibility problem between it and the mainboard.

In the release notes for the bios updates for version 293 can be found:

- Freed up 256MB of system memory when 3GB or more memory is installed.

And exactly since this version my problem exists. So I really think it is a compatibility problem.

• 11. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310 or 312

hi, i have the same problem in 2 computers. one with 2 pairs of memory of 2GB each and the other with 2 pairs of 4 GB each, and try to change the dimms but still dont work i will try to downgrade

• 12. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310 or 312
                                Boyet

Here is an update of the problem. 312 do not produce the usual beep when you boot the computer. So going back to 310 is not a problem to my system. However, flashing back to 293 or below will result to a blank screen. A blinking cursor at the top left portion of the screen is the only activity you'll observed. Using F2 to go into bios does not work. Installing a fresh OS will not work. Booting with the DVD/CD drive and usb also will not work. I have investigated on the blank screen, the F2, the HD, and the boot problem and have solve it by using a blank HD and installing a new OS. I replaced the existing one with the new one and install a fresh new OS. Now it is fully working and I can go back to older bios version (I'm using 251 now). It would seem that something changed the bios so that it cannot locate the boot sector of the old HD, and other drives so that it will result to a blank screen.

P.S.

Here is an update to the updates: Bios 312 and IDU

Jan 6 IDU 3.1.2.0.22 came out but it cannot be installed since there is no setup.exe included.

Jan 7 IDU 3.1.2.022 still the same file but now includes the setup.exe file. This is now installable.

Can this be true also to Bios 312? That is, the defect had been silently resolved?

Message was edited by: Boyet

• 13. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
                                  Skyking421

I'm the original poster and I finally got the nerve to try an update to Bios 312 on my DP55WB.

Again, it will only boot, if I take out one of the memory sticks, leaving only one 2GB module.

With both modules in, it will not even begin to post.

Bios 251 works OK with both modules in Dimm0 (primary slots).

I'm going to try different memory module settings and also try the other two memory slots.

I noticed that the Intel specs for memory, on these boards, say that the 2GB modules should be single sided (chips on one side only).  My Gskill modules have chips on both sides.  Maybe that's the issue?

I'll report on any results.

• 14. Re: DP55WB board inop with BIOS 293 or 310
                                    Skyking421

Updating my post above.

Tried all sorts of voltage settings, timings and speeds, but nothing worked to allow the two 2GB memory modules.  Only one in Dimm 0 worked with BIOS 312.

Could not post with one in the secondary memory slot either (Dimm 1).

So now BIOS's 293, 310 and 312, will not even begin to post with 2 memory modules.

I reverted back to Bios 251 and it runs fine with both modules, even at 1600 mhz !!!

Wonder what they did to change the memory setup in these newer Bios's???

1 2 Previous Next