Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Install Driver without Software

idata
Employee

Hello,

I would like to manually install "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" drivers on a PC in AHCI Mode (Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller) on Windows 7 x64 !

I don't use RAID technology and I don't want the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" software installed. But I would like to enabled AHCI features (NCQ).

So, this way must be the good one right ?

Could you please confirm the method described below or correct it :

Install "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" before Windows installation with "Load Driver" method.

- Copy files (iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat, iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat, iaStor.sys, and TxtSetup.oem) on a USB drive.

- During installation, click on "Load Driver" and select the "Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller" item and continue installation.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

Yes, i agree with the steps that you briefed earlier.

Enable http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-015988.htm AHCI in the bios.

Download the driver.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=18861&lang=eng

Extract the contents on a usb stick

Insert OS CD installation

Load driver

Browse folder

Hard drive will become visible.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan/.

idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply

Could you please also confirm that it will enable NCQ and that is not necessary to install "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" ?

Thank you

EDIT:

I just read that in the readme.txt:

"5. The 'Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility' 

must be installed prior to installing

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology."

I guess it is only "prior to installing Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" SOFTWARE into already installed Windows.

To resume :

1°) Install "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" drivers from "Load Driver" PRIOR OS installation.

2°) Install OS.

3°) Install "Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility"

OK ?

idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you again for your reply but, maybe am I really stupid, I still don't have my answer...

Firstly,

"In order to take advantage of NCQ, you need:

• Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Software

• Hard drive(s) that supports NCQ

• Intel® chipsets using a controller hub that supports AHCI"

Does this mean that if I install drivers like described in first topic, so without any exe installation, I won't have NCQ enabled ?

Secondly,

1Fresh Operating System Installation2Latest Service Pack or Patch3Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility (INF Utility)4All other device drivers5Intel® Application Accelerator if needed6Microsoft* DirectX* 8.0 or higher

How could I install the driver PRIOR OS installation if I need too install first "Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility (INF Utility)" which must be installed AFTER OS installation ???

Thank you,

best regards,

LFDD

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello again,

In any case scenario, whether you load the f6 drivers or not, you will need to install the Intel (R) Rapid Storage Technology to benefits from the AHCI features.

Why do you need to install the F6 drivers?

Here is the answer: OS like windows XP, 2003 did not know about the ahci or raid controller, hence if you load the os cd, it will not find any drives.

Therefore, you need to install the third party f6 driver to be able use the ahci controller/ (Ahci enabled in the bios.)

OS like windows vista, 7, 2008 are supposed to have most recent f6 drivers and many other drivers. Hence for several cases, there was no need to load the drivers. If you can see the hard drive when installing the OS, you dont need the F6 drivers.

The reason for that is because when you are going to install the Intel (R) RST software, it will install the latest driver for the ahci/raid controller.

Now regarding the installation order.

- you install the OS first.

- then you can update the OS with the latest SP

- then you can install all the latest drivers from the web, starting with chipset driver first (windows executable file)

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Get it

Thank you a lot !

0 Kudos