4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 4:41 PM by H_Lane

need advice on a rebuild

H_Lane

a couple years ago I put together a system using an intel dp45sg motherboard. After a couple years of messing with this thing , thinking the problem solved only to have it surface again over and over, I have taken many of your advice to rebuild with a different motherboard. After much research in this & other forums I have decided to use an Intel DX48BT2 mother board and all of my old components which are:

Operating System - Windows XP Pro SP3
      Video Editing Software - Pinnacle 12 Ultimate
      Chassis - Chieftec  Full Tower ATX
      Power Supply -    Ultra X3 800W PSU QUAD
      Processor  - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 12M socket 775
      Memory - Corsair XMS3 DHX 1024MB PC10600    x4
      Hard Drive - 500GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive x3
      Optical Drive - Sony DRU-V200S 20X SATA DVD
      Video - EVGA GEFORCE 9600GT 1GB PCI

I have 2 questions, 1.I plan to insatll all three hard drives, one as the system drive, and the other two as storage. Will I configure all of the drives as raid 0?

2. Will I need to install any of the RAID control software? If so, before or after windows installation? And do I pay attention to the option to install a 3rd party driver when Windows installation begins?

I know these are probably simpleminded questions to many of you, but I just want to be sure I'm doing it right the first time. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: need advice on a rebuild
          Diego_Intel

Hi,

Here is what I think about what you asked

"1.I plan to insatll all three hard drives, one as the system drive,and the other two as storage. Will I configure all of the drives asraid 0?"

A/ You can either create a large volume using all hard drives in a RAID 0 array and then partition the volume to have one partition for the operating system and the other one for data storage. Or you can use one hard drives as an standalone hard drive for the operating system, and then create a RAID array with the remaining two hard drives. However, let me remind you that RAID 0 does not have any data loss protection, if the RAID fails, the data will be gone with no ways to recover it, so a RAID 0 is not usually recommended for storage, it is used to manipulate data fast, but data that will be either imediately backed up or data that does not require to be stored.

"2. Will I need to install any of the RAID control software? If so, before or after windows installation? And do I pay attention to the option to install a 3rd party driver when Windows installation begins?"

A/ Yes, it is recommended to load the latest version of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology console on the operating system since this toll will monitor the volume while is being used on the operating system, furthermore it will be require in the future (I hope not) in case you need to rebuild the RAID volume from a hard drive failure or a similar issue. That software is installed once the operating system has been installed (the SATA mode has to be set as RAID on the system bios>advanced>drive configuration>configure sata... before you install the operating system). during the operating system installation you need to load the f6 drivers or third party mass storage drivers, posted on the site as Intel® RST Driver Files for F6 Install, you can use the following link to get it:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29&ProdId=2101&LineId=1090&FamilyId=40

• 2. Re: need advice on a rebuild
            H_Lane

I'm still a little foggy on the whole RAID thing. You wrote:

"1.I plan to insatll all three hard drives, one as the system  drive,and the other two as storage. Will I configure all of the drives  asraid 0?"

A/  You can either create a large volume using all hard drives in a RAID 0  array and then partition the volume to have one partition for the  operating system and the other one for data storage. Or you can use one  hard drives as an standalone hard drive for the operating system, and  then create a RAID array with the remaining two hard drives. However,  let me remind you that RAID 0 does not have any data loss protection, if  the RAID fails, the data will be gone with no ways to recover it, so a  RAID 0 is not usually recommended for storage, it is used to manipulate  data fast, but data that will be either imediately backed up or data  that does not require to be stored.

I will only use this computer for video editing and a little photoshop stuff. I won't be using it for any other purpose. It will only be hooked to the internet for the occassional update. And it won't be used for long term storage of files. I need one hard drive for running my OS and editing software. I need the second drive for video capture files that will be used in the current projects, then deleted after the projects are completed. I will use the third hard drive to store all other project files until the project is completed. After projects are completed I package them into a complete folder and copy that folder to a external drive for backup. The video editing software that I use suggests having three seperate drives for these purposes.

So my question is (Being so unfamiliar with SATA & RAID): What is the best way/setup for me to accomplish what I need? How do I make each hard drive a stand alone hard drive?

So with this in mind, that is what led to the second question in my first post. Even if I am installing each drive as a stand alone drive I still need the SATA mode set to RAID in the bios and then install the F6 drivers as you described? And then after all of the above has been done I need to install the latest version of Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Console?

Thanks again for your help

• 3. Re: need advice on a rebuild
              Diego_Intel

If you are not going to use RAID and all the hard drive will be used as standalone hard drives, then the setting on the BIOS should be set to AHCI, and still load the f6 drivers during the operating system installation and load the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology software on the operating system. Or you can set the system BIOS to configure SATA as IDE and this will enable just the basic features of SATA and the operating system will not require any driver to be loaded.

I suspect that the confusion here is that you mentioned RAID 0 before and now you state that you will not use RAID, just standalone hard drives. Keep in mind that RAID 0 does not mean that the hard drives will be standalone hard drives.

• 4. Re: need advice on a rebuild
                H_Lane

Diego_intel

Intel Chat with a tech suggested that just setting it up as a IDE would be the best way to go, wouldn't need to install any other software (therefore less things to mess up) and transfer speed would be the same. They basically said, "keep it simple" and you will have less problems. So that is what I did and it seems to be working fine.

This DX48BT2 MB already feels much more stable than the old DP45SG MB did. All of the isoftware installs have gone great with out a hitch. Thanks for your help