Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Has Windows Update ruined my graphics configuration?

idata
Employee

Hi folks, hope you can help me with my problem.

My daughter has a Samsung R519 Laptop, running Windows 7 Professional 32bit, Celeron Processor, 2Gb Ram, mobile intel 4 series express chipset family.

It's always run very nice since she bought it, however she presented it to me after being on holiday for 3 weeks and it was slooooooooooow.

I had a look and found the following:-

On 29/07/2010, Windows Update tried to an 'optional' update to the chipset....and failed four times.

After that, every update except Malicious Removal Tool and Defender, failed.

I eventually (after running Software Readiness Update Tool, disabling anti-virus & doing it in safe mode) managed to install all the WIndows Updates for the past month, except the chipset ones. This was VERY tedious doing it about 3 at a time, especially with the machine so slow - 100% CPU constantly.

I did a Malwarebytes run and found 39incidents, but mostly pertaining to MyWebSeach and FunWebProducts. All removed.

Then I decided to update the graphics drivers, hoping this would speed up the comp.

I'm pretty sure that the version in it was 2086, but I could be wrong as I don't now have the piece of paper.

I tried to update it to 2182 using the exe, but after 5-10mins it gave up, telling me it would revert back.

I even tried using the 'have disk' method, but that too failed.

All the times the computer was going slower and slower (FORGET iTUNES!) and the only way I could make progress was to go to performance settings and set it to 'best performance' - crap graphics but at least this way at least the CPU wasn't constantly on 100%.

I went to Device Manager, Display Adaptors etc and in the box where you can update/roll back/uninstall the driver, I clicked on DRIVER DETAILS....and waited.....and waited and eventually, it listed 91 files!!, 33 normal looking ones plus all the language resource files, five .vp files, loads of .lrc files, and a cpa file!!

Strangely, I also noticed that it said the version was 2182!! So I rolled it back, restarted, looked in device drivers and they were all still there.

I then completely uninstalled the graphics drivers, restarted and after a while, they all came back in again (thru WIndows Update I think!)

I've even gone as far as to go into Windows/System32 and manually delete all the files listed in the DRIVER DETAILS, but they all came back in again.

I did it a 2nd time and stopped Windows Update from importing them. I then tried the 2182 installation exe, hoping this would work - again it failed stating that it had problems registering one or more files.

I did the manual removal thing one more time (noticing that there were three igfxColn_v....dll's; 2021, 2119 and 2182, which I presume are previously installed versions) and removed the 3 version .dlls - it's now back to version 1892, but still has 26 files in the DRIVER DETAILS list, plus a load of .lrc files, 5 x .vp files and the .cpa file, but at least NOT the language resource files.

It's still running really slow, massive CPU usage and I dare not change the performance settings, or it'll grind to a halt.

Without completely restoring this laptop (and there is no system restore point before 29/7 grrr) is there any way I can get this machine's graphics configuration running properly please? I've already spent 2 days on this and it's driving me crazy!!

Thanks so much in advance and sorry for the long post!!

Fizz

PS If anyone has the same machine/chipset, could you please tell me what processes should be running in Driver Details pls? (My dad has 2 comps - there's 9 on his desktop and 26 on his laptop)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

***UPDATE***

I tried again to install version 2182 via the exe and the have disk method, both times saying they were unsuccessful.

However when I went to Device Manager/Graphics Adaptors, the version came up as 2182!!

I clicked on Driver Details - again, a VERY long wait and again, 91 files!!

Again, I went into System32 and removed (to a new folder) all the language .resources files, all the .lrc files, the 5 .vp files and the .cps file.

I went back to Driver Details and there were now 29 files - the machine is working MUCH better and am able to put it in Aero mode, change the performance to Best Appearance and the CPU doesn't go mad.

I would still like to know from other people, how many files should be in Driver Details and what they are please, as I feel it could be fine tuned more.

Many thanks, Fizz

0 Kudos