8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 10:59 AM by MateaDad

Hard Drive Driver

MateaDad

After upgrading the BIOS for our DG31PR board and installing the 64 bit version of Windows 7 my system did not recognize a second hard drive in the case.  It did recognize the c drive (a WD1600AAJS) 160 GB Caviar SE) and an external drive (Iomega).  The unrecognized drive is a WD 800 WDJB drive.  The system returns the message "Mass Storage controller doesn't have a driver" and PCI Bus 4 device 6 function Q Driver for this device are not installed (Code 28).

How do i get the necessary driver? or do I have to redownload the BIOS update or do a repair on Windows &?

• 1. Re: Hard Drive Driver
          Diego_Intel

In fact there should not be any driver required for the hard drive after updating the system BIOS. This sounds more like either a hard drive problem or an operating system corruption somehow.

However, you may still try running again the BIOS update or roll back to a previous version in order to troubleshoot this issue.

I would recommend you to check the disk integrity, amke sure that is properly detected at BIOS level and then try an operating system repair.

• 2. Re: Hard Drive Driver
            MateaDad

Thanks.  The BIOS does not recognize the additional drive.  It says Sata Port 0 is occupied by the WDC hard drive and all the Sata ports 1 and greater state "not installed"  I will open the case and check the hard drive connections.  Nothing was changed so I don't understand why the second HD is now being recognized.

• 3. Re: Hard Drive Driver
              MateaDad

I am at my wits end.  I opened the case and checked all the connections.  I went to the extent of replacing the cable between the hard drive and the PCI card plus plugging the hard drive in after the system was running to see if W7 would recognize new hardware.  Even these steps did not cause the system to recognize the second hard drive.

I also tried to reinstall the BIOS update but was unsucessful.  I downloaded the update but during the Intel Express BIOS Update got the following errore message "Severe"  "This program is unable to continue.  Internal System error:  There is a programming or internal problem."

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks for yor help

• 4. Re: Hard Drive Driver
                Diego_Intel

I apologize but I am a little confused here.

Can you specify how many hard drives are installed, what is the type of those hard drives (SATA or ide) and where are they connected to (integrated ports or a pci card, etc)?

Please also confirm which is not being detected

• 5. Re: Hard Drive Driver
                  MateaDad

Diego, believe this is what you are asking: 

1.  There are three hard drives connected to the system, two in the case and one on a USB connection.

2.  In the case, one hard drive is an SATA and the other an IDE.

3.  The SATA drive is connected directly to the mother board (an integrated port?) and is being recognized by the BIOS.

4.  The IDE drive is connected to a PCI Express X16 board which plugs into the motherboard.  This drive is not being recognized by the BIOS.

5.  The third drive is an external drive and connected via a USB port.  This drive is being recognized by the BIOS.

6.  The system is also recognizing a ZIP drive and a DVD/CD drive along with a NVIDA video card.

• 6. Re: Hard Drive Driver
                    Diego_Intel

What happens if you test that IDE hard drive connected to the PCI Express* x16 card into the IDE port on the motherboard?

• 7. Re: Hard Drive Driver
                      PeterUK

What happens if you test that IDE hard drive connected to the PCI Express* x16 card into the IDE port on the motherboard?

The system will either not boot or could burn something out.

Edit: LoL after reading that again I was looking at it like connect the IDE to the PCI Express* x16 into the IDE port on the motherboard...never mind

I believe the OP has listed the hardware incorrectly as its with a NVIDA video card that are mostly x16 PCI Express with a IDE drive being connected to a PCI Express x16 board which is unlikely and made more unlikely by this board only having one PCI Express x16 slot.

So do you have a IDE PCI card in a white slot and what make and model is it?

• 8. Re: Hard Drive Driver
                        MateaDad

After messing around for some time I concluded the issue was that the driver for the PCI card was unavailable for some reason.  The PCI card was a Promise Ultra 66 which is apparently now obsolete.  Promise Tech was no help in resolving the matter.

Anyway, I needed the PCI slot for a fire wire connection so changed tactics and tryed various converters on the SCSI drive so that it could connect to a SATA port.  When I did this I got error messages stating there was an error loading the operating system.

When I checked the BIOS what I discovered is that after installing the converter  and connecting it to the SATA2 port, the BIOS does not recognize the hard drive connected to the SATA0 port.  This is the hard drive on which  the operating system is installed.  Disconnecting the converter and then checking the BIOS revealed that the HD on the SATA0 port is recognized during boot up and since this HD is the default for start up, the system boots normally.  The converter is a VANTEC Model CB-IS100.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?