12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 9:11 AM by intel-za

DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST

BizSAR

I recently purchased a SSD, and chose to install Windows to it. Previously, with a mechanical HD, I had no issues w/ the DX58SO in regular IDE mode. Now that I changed to AHCI mode for the SSD, upon power up, I get a single cursor/underline in the upper-left corner of the screen for 30-60 seconds before the Intel POST screen comes up. I've installed the "F6" Intel drivers and let Windows format the drive. If I revert back to IDE mode, I don't get the initial hang.

Running the latest released BIOS.

Is this really just how AHCI is, or is there possibly another issue at play here?

• 1. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
          Cpt.Dogfruit

sounds like something else at play, althoug not sure what, i would say unplug everythin form teh system, leave CPU, PSU RAM and GPU. Even take off keyboards and front panel connections. Have it set to ahci before you remove everyhting and then turn it on and see if it does the same thing, if it doesn't then star addidng components one by one testing in between to see if you can find the one that causes it. If it does teh same thing, then ermmm...update BIOS if you haven't and maybe call Intel tech support.

• 2. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
            BizSAR

I did find a closed post about the same thing. I re-formatted both SSD and regular HD, tried it with the reg. HD off and with the SSD off to no avail.

How would USB devices be affected by AHCI? I initally only installed with a MS keyboard and mouse only: same thing.

It doesn't seem to be lasting as long...20-30 sec.s, but that's still pretty bad.

• 3. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
              gworf

I have the exact same problem with this board.

I purchased an OCZ Agility 2 SSD and I have to run it with AHCI. It takes 30 seconds before the POST screen.

I hope this is something they will/can fix in the next BIOS release?

• 4. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
                BizSAR

...or at least acknowledge, then fix?

• 5. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
                  GMV

I got basically the same scenario except my DX58SO would BSOD with a quick flash and reboot right after the Win 7 (64bit) logo popped up. I did this online Microsoft fix and it's working okay now with the exception that the ESata drives don't show up in the Eject Media dialog. I've got 2 SSD's with varied other hard drives both internal and external.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

GM

• 6. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST

I am experiencing the exact same issue...

My experience...Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Pro (I don't think version matters in this case).  System was working flawlessly for about 3 weeks, and yes it was installed with AHCI BIOS configuration.  No HW change inside the unit.

I was testing creating third partition and booting via USB flash drive to create a restore image on that partition until I encountered this issue.  When powered on(or reboot) the system normally flash the Intel logo screen and then start loading the OS, but in this case it doesn't show the Intel screen and rather display an underscore cursor on the top left hand side of the screen.  At first I thought that my SSD was the problem because I can boot the system without the SSD but once I tried another HDD the system reverted back to the "_" character.  I'm at a lost why this is happening, tried reloading setup default but it still not getting past the "_".

I can change to IDE mode but what's the point since I have to reinstall the OS and application, not to mention the enhanced features of AHCI.  Could my plugging and removing the USB drive have cause this problem?  Intel if you are monitoring this please help...

My System:

DX58S0

Core i7 960

Corseair 12800 6GB

Kingston SSD

Latest BIOS I could find

• 7. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST

To add to this...they sytem does not eventually POST like posters above.  This thing looks like it's completly frozen.  I could tolerate 30-60 seconds but I'm not getting that experience.

• 8. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST

I have the exact same issue.  My computer works great on IDE mode. After I installed a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and switched to AHCI mode, it hangs for about 30 seconds before the Intel screen during boot up.  I can't go back to IDE mode since I upgraded to a SSD.  I did not overclock anything on my computer and I disabled all unnecessary on-board components.  Please help.  Thanks

• 9. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
                          Boyet

Hi!

I have read a similar case like yours in another forum community. They have a very good discussion about it. What I learn is that you will encounter a problem if you prepare your ssd in ide then change the bios to AHCI. There is an option being suggested without having to format the ssd again under AHCI (after wiping or zero writing it). It's a registry edit.

I don't know if you are aware or know about this.

Message was edited by: Boyet

• 10. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
                            sokumkeo@gmail.com

Well I have searched this forum an a couple others and have found no solution the problem.  The problem isn't IDE vs AHCI, I say this as a fact because I did not adjust that setting.  I was using the system fine for about 3 weeks and all of the sudden the system no longer POST.  The system was installed using AHCI, again that wasn't the problem.  The only change I could account for my action was plugging and removing USB flash drive which I use to boot into PE and image the partition.

Searching various forums hint at formatting the drive and the system will boot once again.  This is a problem because I have only the one SSD, but with the system non-functional it's the best option I've got.  I remove the SSD from the system and connected to another computer.  From there I formatted the drive, once completed I put it back in the DX58S0 and the computer booted...I was able to install Windows etc...

Downside, if I only had one computer I would be SOL.  Reinstalling isn't the best circumstance, luckly I did not have important documents on this drive.  Because I created an image previously my recovery wasn't too painful.

• 11. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
                              Boyet

sokumkeo@gmail.com

Well I have searched this forum an a couple others and have found no solution the problem.  The problem isn't IDE vs AHCI, I say this as a fact because I did not adjust that setting.  I was using the system fine for about 3 weeks and all of the sudden the system no longer POST.  The system was installed using AHCI, again that wasn't the problem.  The only change I could account for my action was plugging and removing USB flash drive which I use to boot into PE and image the partition.

Searching various forums hint at formatting the drive and the system will boot once again.  This is a problem because I have only the one SSD, but with the system non-functional it's the best option I've got.  I remove the SSD from the system and connected to another computer.  From there I formatted the drive, once completed I put it back in the DX58S0 and the computer booted...I was able to install Windows etc...

Downside, if I only had one computer I would be SOL.  Reinstalling isn't the best circumstance, luckly I did not have important documents on this drive.  Because I created an image previously my recovery wasn't too painful.

This is what BizSAR wrote and which I am responding to:

"I recently purchased a SSD, and chose to install Windows to it. Previously, with a mechanical HD, I had no issues w/ the DX58SO in regular IDE mode. Now that I changed to AHCI mode for the SSD, upon power up, I get a single cursor/underline in the upper-left corner of the screen for 30-60 seconds before the Intel POST screen comes up. I've installed the "F6" Intel drivers and let Windows format the drive. If I revert back to IDE mode, I don't get the initial hang.

Running the latest released BIOS.

Is this really just how AHCI is, or is there possibly another issue at play here?"

The registry edit solution and the discussion about the problem initiated by BizSAR is not discussed in this forum but in another website's forum. Since it's only in this thread that this problem is starting to be discussed I'm asking if they are aware of the solution.

I'm not aware that you have put your problem in this thread. But if you have, I'm sorry I must have missed it. I have done such formatting an hd in one computer and putting it in another several times and finds no problem. It's a solution that requires so much time and effort. And the participants in the other website's forum have knowledge about it but its implementation resulted to their accidental discovery that if you format in ide and then use it in ahci you won't be able to bootup. They found out that the reverse is not true. I won't be repeating the reasons why that is so because its redundant and irrelevant.

If you have other thoughts about the problem presented in this thread please addressed it to the one that needs the solution or advice.

• 12. Re: DX58SO Boot w/ AHCI hangs before POST
                                intel-za

Do you have any external USB drives or flash disks plugged in ?? USB devices are notorious for slowing down DX58SO POST times. If I plug out every single USB device my machine get's through POST in about 5-8 seconds, with a USB device plugged in it can slow down to 30-45 seconds and with several USB devices plugged in it can slow down up to 2 minutes. Sadly not one revision of BIOS for the DX58SO has ever managed to fix this, the newer BIOS versions seem to make it actually worse and also end up breaking detection of simple things like USB keyboards.

I have also noticed that when I switch to IDE mode my POST time is faster than with AHCI but not much.