2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 3:39 PM by kmand

X5680 on Linux

kmand

I ran a dual Intel Xeon X5680 on a recent Linux kernel and in procinfo it shows up as 4 cores/siblings per chip for a total of 8 cpus.

This is a surprise since the 5680 has 6 cores per chip, and 2 threads per core.

In contrast on another box with 4 core/2 thread Xeon X5500's procinfo shows 4 cores, 8 siblings per chip for a total 16 cpus.

Any idea whats going on here?

• 1. Re: X5680 on Linux
          Salem_Intel

Hi,

For better undestanding of the situation your system's having, please, provide more details:

1. What's the serverboard you're running the two Intel(R) Xeon(TM) Processor(s) X5680 on?

2. Just to be in sync., what do you mean by siblings?  Are you referring to the threads?

3. I checked and there's no Intel(R) Xeon(TM) Processor X5500; see the following URL:

http://ark.intel.com

Hence, please, confirm on the model of this other Intel(R) Xeon(TM) Processor.

4. Have you run the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility from DOS to see how the cores are being detected?

• 2. Re: X5680 on Linux
            kmand

My mistake, I jumped the gun on this. The test was inadvertently done on a 32bit Linux kernel. When we switched to the 64 bit Kernel /proc/cpuinfo shows 24 "processors" as I was expecting.