6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 7:15 PM by

DX58SO Latest Version E29331-703

EQlizer

Hi,

I'm trying to find the latest version of this board DX58SO E29331-(701-703). It has a new location for the SATA cables and more. Please let me know where I can buy it.

This version E29331-703

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DX58SO/DX58SO-overview.htm

best,

EQ.

• 1. Re: DX58SO Latest Version E29331-703
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi

i think you will need to contact teh authorised distributors for this type of query, you can find a list of tehm here: http://premierlocator.intel.com/

• 2. Re: DX58SO Latest Version E29331-703
            kcordum

Believe it or not, I just received this same board, DX58SO, E29331-703, from Amazon.com.  Of course no guarantee you will get the latest version.

I am curious myself when and why these changes were made, along with other changes unseen.  Changes like, the 4 pin aux PCI Express graphics power gone, serial ATA connectors flipped 90deg (must be for large graphics cards) and heat sinks missing next to the CPU socket.  I've been looking everywhere but found no documentation or notes.  Still building my new system,  only case, power supply and motherboard purchased so far (Antec 1200 case, Antec CP-1000 psu and of course DX58SO board).  Any comments on version/revision E29331-703 would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kcordum

• 3. Re: DX58SO Latest Version E29331-703
              fsofos

I have the same board with board number E29331-702, and has the new layout of the sata ports(90" Angled). So if you can find the the 702 version you will be ok.:).....

• 4. Re: DX58SO Latest Version E29331-703

I have both the 702 and 703 revision in front of me.  I purchased from Amazon and it came as a 703.  Fine, except as soon as I took the motherboard out of it's electrostatic bag, I noticed that one corner of the motherboard was bent up.  This was clearly a manufacturing defect, as the packaging was not damaged at all.  I went to the only local store where I could find a DX58SO and bought it - turned out to be a 702.  I didn't know to worry about revisions before I walked out of the door with the 702....

Anyway, looking at the boards and comparing 702 and 703:

- I can see NO difference in the heatsinks near the CPU or anywhere else

- Both boards have the SATA connectors at right angles

- 703 has a nice Intel skull logo on the largest chipset heatsink, whereas the 702's is blank

- 702 has the 4-pin molex near the video card slot, 703 does not have this.

As the 703 is going back to Amazon, I'm going to have to install the 702.  Since I'm putting in a GTX580, I'll use the 4-pin molex.

My only concern is that the machine may not boot to allow me to do a BIOS upgrade to support my i7-970.  All versions of the motherboard are supported, but only with BIOS 5020 or higher, and the 702 comes with BIOS version 4598  installed (the 703 comes with 5200).

I'm not sure why the change in the molex is made.  I'm very curious as to whether this was a cost-savings measure, or whether we are better off without the molex connector....

• 5. Re: DX58SO Latest Version E29331-703
                  Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

You can find teh changes that are made in teh revisions in the PCN of teh motherboard, probably the easiest way to do this is google Intel pcn dx58so or something of teh sort.

Also AFAIK the aux Molex power was removed simply because it was not needed as you have teh sata aux power there.

hope this helps.

• 6. Re: DX58SO Latest Version E29331-703

My DX58SO E29331-501 died last week...CPU and RAM are OK, but the motherboard will not post.  I ordered a replacement from NewEgg and received a E29331-703, so I have both of them to compare.  I looked around for a DX58SO2, but could not locate one.

From a visual inspection there appears to be only 4 changes in the electronics:

1. The 4-pin molex connector is not installed...the holes are there, but filled with solder.  And, the power transistor and capacitor in that location has been replaced with a small 16pin IC chip and some resistive/directional circuitry (resistors and diodes)...there's also some additional resistive/directional circuitry to the left of the full sized PCI slot.  The original reason for the additional power connector was due to the fact that some of the early PCI-e graphics card manufacturers did not include additional connectors on the card and drew all power from the PCI-e slot...Intel was just trying to prevent the motherboard from getting fried by some of those cards.  I suggest only using PCI-e graphics cards in the Primary PCI-e slot which have additional power connectors with the new version of the board.  The additional resistive/directional circuitry to the left of the PCI-e and PCI slots most likely provides a safety shut-off and/or warning indication if current exceeds the allowable amount.  It is interesting to note that the aux power for the Secondary PCI-e slot has not been modified, so Intel apparently is willing to continue to support older graphics cards in that slot.

2. Capacitance around the CPU and RAM has been increased.  The blue colored 330uF capacitors surrounding the CPU have been replaced with red colored 331uF capacitors.  The 3 purple colored 560uF capacitors located just to the left of the middle of the top edge of the board and above the DIMM slots have been replaced with red colored 561uF capacitors.  The two purple 470uF 6Volt capacitors to the right of those 3 caps, as well as two to the right of the DIMMs and two blow the right edge of the DIMMs have been replaced with 470uF 6.3 Volt caps.

3. The SATA ports are turned 90º.  This is because full sized graphics cards cover the SATA ports and in the original version will make some of those ports unusable.

Other changes you see, such as missing heat sinks, are NOT a change made by Intel.  If you do not see the heat sinks on the power transistors surrounding the CPU then return the board as damaged/incomplete merchandise...those heat sinks need to be on there.

Non-electronic notable changes are:

1. The Intel logo in the middle of the board and below the Primary PCI-e slot is a forward facing skull instead of the usual profile of the skull with an Intel marque for its brain.