3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2010 4:55 PM by

DP43TF obtains DHCP address even with PXE boot disabled

prewittdw

Two PCs with DP43TF motherboards obtain DHCP address even with PXE (network) boot disabled.  Both PCs are assigned static IP addresses in the operating system (Windows XP) and the static IP assignments are entered into DNS.  However, during the boot process (apparently during POST), the PC obtains a lease from the DHCP server.  This "new" IP assignment is used to overwrite the static entry in DNS.  As a result, connections to the operating system by some tools (including Remote Desktop) fail because the reverse lookup does not match with the IP Address listed for the NIC.  I have upgraded to the newest BIOS (NBG4310H.86A.0106), but still get the same problem.

• 1. Re: DP43TF obtains DHCP address even with PXE boot disabled
          Salem_Intel

Hi,

I confirm that even with PXE Boot disabled in BIOS, the DHCP will still assign the addresses automatically.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DP43TF obtains DHCP address even with PXE boot disabled
            prewittdw

I see a lot of confirmation that this is happening, from other posts.  But nothing about Intel developing a BIOS update to correct the issue.   I even got a suggestion to change the DHCP range on the DHCP sever and set reservations for the MAC addresses.  Most of the 60+ workstations purchased with the DP43TF motherboards work fine with DHCP; however, there are a few unique cases which require static IP assignment.  DHCP is to ease the administrative burden, not increase administration by setting reservation addresses.  It is possible to manually delete the DHCP assignment and manually re-enter the correct static IP address in DNS.  However, the next time the PC reboots, during POST it requests (and recieves) DHCP assignment.  DHCP then updates DNS entries (removing the static values).  When the OS loads, it will run with the static assignment; however those applications which use DNS forward and reverse lookup find the DHCP assigned address.  This causes the application to fail or produce erroneous conditions.

These motherboards are in PCs assembled by a third party vendor and I cannot place a warranty claim against Intel to be the BIOS changed to operation as would be appropriate.

• 3. Re: DP43TF obtains DHCP address even with PXE boot disabled

I'm having the same problem with the BIOS getting an IP number for the LAN card even with a static IP set in the OS.  When will there be a BIOS update to fix this problem?  I have 48 computers that are taking IP numbers from my DHCP server needlessly.  Please help.