11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 9:51 AM by

Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade

qureshabbasi

Hi,

I have a Intel D845GVSR MotherBoard with Intel P4 processor. I have upgraded the Bios after which there is no display and no beep. I get the display if I shift the  BIOS Configuration Jumper to Maintainence mode. I have also tried recovering the Bios by writing the file NM0159P.BIO to a blank CD and run the computer  by removing BIOS Configuration Jumper but there is no display and nothing happens.CD Rom light blinks at specific interval but no message on the screen.

Can you please help me to recover my machine ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
          sergios_intel

Hello:

To start troubleshooting this issue, I recommend you to clear the CMOS. To do this, please remove power to the motherboard, all cables and the RTC (Real Time Clock) battery for 60 minutes. After this period of time, insert the battery back in and turn the system back on.

After clearing the CMOS you can try to perform a BIOS recovery again

• 2. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
            qureshabbasi

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I tried removing CMOS battery and all the cables for one day and replaced it back and then running the BIOS recovery from CD ROM. But again there is no display on the screen even after 10-15 mins and the CD-ROM light blinks after certain interval.I have extracted the .BIO file from the BIOS zip package and copied to the CD.

Please suggest the next course of action.

Thank You

• 3. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
              qureshabbasi

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I tried removing CMOS battery and all the cables for one day and replaced it back and then running the BIOS recovery from CD ROM. But again there is no display on the screen even after 10-15 mins and the CD-ROM light blinks after certain interval.I have extracted the .BIO file from the BIOS zip package and copied to the CD.

Please suggest the next course of action.

Thank You

• 4. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
                mechbob

The BIOS file you need is ( VA84510A.86A.0056.P20.EB.EXE ) , Recovery with cd rom , 1, Copy the Recovery file (*.BIO ) to a cd ,2 Place the cd in the CD-ROM drive of the computer , 3 Remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper ,4 Power On SYS , 5 Wait 5-10 Min.,6Sys will either shut down or tell you to shut down ,7 Reinstall jumper , 8 Restart Sys. Press F2 to configure settings . Good Luck do not skip any steps. Most recent BIOS ( P20 ) . There is a page for this but you have to go to discuntinued boards, the last BIOS was , 2006.

• 5. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
                  qureshabbasi

Hi Rob,

I have extracted files from VA84510A.86A.0056.P20.IB.EXE (as .EB.EXE is self extractable from Windows OS) and copied P08-0023.BIO file to CD and then followed the exact procedure you,ve mentioned. But there is no response. I tried waiting for more that 15mins in recovery process.

What I have observed is if I remove the RAM and poweron the machine it gives me error beep which indicates that the bios is functioning properly.I have also tried installing PCI graphics card to see if there is display problem but again the same.

Please suggest.

• 6. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
                    mechbob

Have you tried hooking your computer to another monitor , you may be jumping through all these hoopes because the monitor isn't working ???

• 7. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
                      qureshabbasi

Hi Rob,

Apologies for the delay. Yes I have tried this elsewhere..however as I'd mentioned earlier,I am able to enter the setup and see the display when I shift the BIOS jumper to Maintainence mode. In this mode it only allows me to see the default settings once I exit, it says please shift the jumper to normal mode and reboot.Hence I assume monitor/onboard display is not an issue.

Regards

Quresh

• 8. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
                        mechbob

If you can get in your BIOS at all means it's not corropted, go in BIOS and re set to all defaults than restart. see what you get ?? while you are in the BIOS check the graphics setting and note what it was before you reset defaults and after.

• 9. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade
                          qureshabbasi

Hello Rob,

Tried this option too...there's nothing much to play with display/graphics in the setup.Actually the setting are not getting saved, everytime I enter the setup in maintainence mode settings are changed to default.Last option left it to replace the CMOS battery.

Please suggest.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade

Hi friend,

I’m experiencing the same problem; mine board is D845GVSR too,

Please have a look to these links, maybe it fix your problem,

Thanks

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm  (link for instruction)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=14382  (link for download)

• 11. Re: Machine Dead after Bios Upgrade

Hey Thanks for your note...

I was able to get to the root cause of it. The problem with these series of MotherBoard is the Processor Socket.When you apply pressure while fitting the Processor fan on the board, it bends which result in no display.Initially I thought the Display disappeared when I upgraded my BIOS....but it was a coincidence. The Socket problem couldn't be replaired hence I got rid of that motherboard and gotta new one.

Thanks anyways.

Regards

Quresh