12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 3:50 AM by Cpt.Dogfruit

DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem

wing

Hello,

I just recently bought the DP55WG and i5 processor to upgrade my old PC. After initial trouble with motherboard not working with the i5-680 (BIOS upgrade was required), I now stumbled on another problem. With the ATI 5850 plugged in, the boot beeps and stops with the E6 code on the POST display with no display.

As far as I can tell the problem is with the board/cpu and ATI 5XXX as brand new ATI 5650 I bought as a replacement for the old PC isn't working either (and stops at E6 as well), but my old ATI 3650 is wotking well and the PC with it is running without any problems.

I found this thread http://communities.intel.com/message/97135, but solution of type "I will buy nVIDIA" isn't really a solution at all to me.

Any ideas anyone?

• 1. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
          Salem_Intel

Hi!
          If the problem does not take place with the ATI* Radeon(TM) HD 3650, and your system already has the latest 5531 BIOS version, indeed, then, my suggestion is the following:

Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process.  Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.  Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

• 2. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
            wing

Unfortunatelly there is no change. To do the reset to defaults, I had to use the 3650 card, then I had to switch back to 5650 (this card is smaller so it's easier to handle than 5850). I did let the computer run for 5 or so minutes in a hope that it will suddently decide to boot, but no success.

The Event Log is clear, there are no entries in it.

I wonder if the problem may have something to do with the fact that the i5-680 has integrated graphics on the chip? But I didn't see any kinf od option to "enable/disable" the graphics in the BIOS.

• 3. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
              mechbob

Does your power supply meet the requirements of the 5850 ??

• 4. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                wing

Yes, it's 620W PSU, I did buy it when I bought the graphics card and in the old PC I had no problems whatsoever.

• 5. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                  mechbob

You have two 75 watt 6 pin plugs on a 620 ??

• 6. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                    wing

I have no idea if they're 75W, but yes, I do have two 6-pin connectors that plug into the graphics card. Again, the PSU + VGA combo did work in the old computer for 6 months. I may be wrong, but I don't think the card should really consume that much power just to display the BIOS text mode screen.

• 7. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                      wing

Also please note that I'm testing the problem with a 5650 card, which doesn't need external power at all.

• 8. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                        wing

So... I managed to get hold of older processor i7 - 860 and surprise surprise, 5650 it's working with that setup. The 860 doesn't have the integrated graphics on the chip tho. Anyway I think it's really the motherboard + CPU combination that doesn't want to work with the ATI 5XXXs.

Is there a way to file a support ticked with Intel?

• 9. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                          mechbob

Thats good , thats also a good reason to check compatibilty before you start a build .

• 10. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                            Cpt.Dogfruit

ive seen this with a few other GPUs as well, i think it's one of thos ehtings that if you buy a motherboard with the video out put and a CPU with a GPU integrated, then why would oyu add a GPU card? and vice versa if your going to use a PCIe GPU why would you but the CPU and board with graphics?

• 11. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                              wing

Well, I don't care about the integrated graphics at all. As far as I can tell, pretty much all the new Clarkdale CPUs from Intel do have the graphics integrated. The reason I bought the i5 680 is the clock frequency of 3.6, as the computer is meant to be a gaming computer and unfortunatelly there are not many games that do use multithreading a lot, so it still comes down to the classical "the faster clock, the better".

From what I read on the forums, there is no mention at all about the MB + CPU not supporting certain 3rd party hardware. I'm not aware of any kind of black list, being it VGAs, RAID controllers, Sound Cards or whatever. I did check the Intel compatibility list, and all that Intel is providing is the MB + CPU compatibility, nothing else. And of course the MB with the right BIOS is compatible with the i5.

My personal opinion is, that the problem is the MB BIOS, that's why I wonder how to file a Support Ticket with Intel.

Also please note, the DP55WG DOESN'T have video output. So there must be an external VGA installed.

• 12. Re: DP55WG + i5-680 + ATI 5XXX problem
                                Cpt.Dogfruit

you can contact intel here: http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm or throughg teh live chat on teh support page.

And of course tehre is no blacklist, why would teh put that out, as well as tehy dont have compatibility list for desktop motherboards other than for CPUs.

What i am saying if you put say i5 750 in there it will work. The onboard CPU GPUs in general do not get on with a third party GPU, whether being used or not. The motherboards nowaydays only have the actual video output connector, nothing else, so really tis only the CPU.

And yes all the clarkdales apart form teh Xeon L3406 have integrated graphics.

Let us know how you get on with this!