Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Wireless problems with Intel Wifi Link 5300 on a Dell Studio 1458 (Windows only)

idata
Employee

I've got a Dell Studio 1458 and just replaced the stock Dell 1397 (Broadcom) with an Intel 5300 Wifi card. On any wifi connection it is slow and speeds are very erratic and page loads often fail (as if there was interference or barely in range), even though the signal strength is excellent. This only happens under Windows and the card works properly in Linux Mint 9 (ubuntu-based). I have the latest Intel drivers. I can't figure it out. If anyone has suggestions (other than an OS reinstall) it would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

I just received three of these with the same MAC address. This leads me to suspect that the chip I purchased are (maybe) counterfeit.

What is the MAC address of your card? Mine is 00-16-EA-04-41-F8

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The mac address on my Intel 5300 is 00:21:6A:3E:CD:4A. I'm typing this message on this very connection in Linux and it works great. It's only in Windows that it doesn't.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For what it's worth, I have windows drivers 13.2.1.5 running on WinXP_SP3 on a Dell D820 without any problems.

Airport extreme simultaneous dual-band access point.

What AP are you using and what are your settings?

If anyone has an answer to how three cards could all have the same MAC please answer me here.

http://communities.intel.com/message/99363

Now help geforcefly with his problem. :-)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The router I'm using is a Netgear WNR2000v2 Wireless-N router (2.4GHz, so no N speeds), with WPA2 encryption turned on. Channel and maximum speed settings on the router don't affect the issue. Fragmentation Length (2346) and CTS/RTS Threshold (2347) are set to defaults. Preamble mode is Long (default). Intel Advanced Stats shows ~10% transmit errors. The old Dell 1397 (Broadcom) card worked perfectly before replacing it with the 5300. Wondering if maybe it's a registry setting or some sort... And by the way, the 5300's settings are at defaults and using the latest Intel drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When you installed the adapter, did you make sure to connect all three antennas correctly and properly? Did you connect the right antennas in the machine?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes I did. Works great in Linux, but not in Windows 7.

0 Kudos