3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 11:47 AM by Salem_Intel

post failure at E6

walterbj

Post stops at E6 "stared connecting drivers", dx 5400xs motherboard, whats wrong?

• 1. Re: post failure at E6
          Salem_Intel

Hi!

If the system based on the Intel(R) Desktop Board D5400XS hangs on the E6 POST code, to begin troubleshooting, I'd recommend the following:

1. Ensure all the drives are properly connected.

2. Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process.  Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.  Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

• 2. Re: post failure at E6
            walterbj

It doesn't get through the boot, it stops at E6. Therefore I can't do a F2. It often vacillates between 51 and and E6. If I set the jumper to go into bios maintenance, it stops at E9. My hunch is that the board is bad.

• 3. Re: post failure at E6
              Salem_Intel

Hi!

If my previous suggestions helped not, I'd next recommend updating the BIOS to the most current version:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

Notes:

- The step-by-step instructions are foun here:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

- Once the update is done, please, restart the system into BIOS and repeat the following:

Press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.  Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.