1 2 3 Previous Next 285 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 4:52 PM by whlea

Ask An Expert - The Server Room

CommunityAdmin

Welcome to intel.com/ITopia. Join the discussion, debate and collaborate. This is your opportunity to *ask our experts* what you want to know about Intel’s latest technologies. The floor is yours.
      +This discussion is not intended to answer PC support question. If you have a support question go to {document:id=1086}.+

• 1. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room

What is the fully supported Intel Mother Board with

Q9450,Q6600,E8400 Processor.

• 2. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room

I need to know if the L2 cache in the E5405 or the E7310 utilizes ECC for error protection, and if not do any of the curent quad core Zeons do so?

thanks

John.F.Harvey@hp.com

• 3. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room
              whlea

In general, all of these processors use LGA775 socket compatible. Since there are many choices for this socket type, click here to check out your options.

When you click on a desktop board, the next page will show which processors are supported. Let us know if this fully answers your question.

• 4. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room

Yes.  The L2 Caches on all Intel Xeon processors are protected by ECC.  The L3 Caches, when present, are also protected by ECC.

• 5. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room

Reason for this set of questions: It is nice to have an external backup drive on SMB servers, but USB and Firewire connections are very slow compared to e-SATA. An external drive with an e-SATA connection is preferable because the backup/copy time is so much shorter. The DQ34JOE motherboard has a red SATA connection that is specifically designated for e-SATA use. Other motherboards, such as ServerBoard S5000PSLSATAR, do not.  I know I could try this out to see if it can be done, but I would think you already have answers.  QUESTION 1: Are there any issues or reasons why one of the SATA connections on the S5000 boards should not be used for an e-SATA connection? QUESTION 2: Since the DQ35JOE board has a designated e-SATA port, is there a software, firmware, or BIOS setting that should be set on the S5000 board to identify a particular SATA connection for use as an e-SATA connection? QUESTION 3: If I can use one of the SATA connections on S5000 boards for e-SATA use, can you give me the part number of the cable and back slot adapter that so I can purchase it for current and future server boards?

• 6. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room

we recently got intel sh3200hsh server board.

in specs and in technical description theres is mention about Server Engines Pilot built-in chip and about IPKVM possibility. But in user manual or bios menu there no any knobs and instructions how to use this functionality ?

• 7. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room
                      whlea

In response to eSATA questions:

Q1. Are there any issues or reasons why one of the SATA connections on the S5000 boards should not be used for an e-SATA connection?

A1: Intel hasn't validated this configuration, but would expect that an eSATA cabling from the SATA ports would work. Note: Many Serial ATA drives use new low-voltage power connectors and require adapters or power supplies equipped with low-voltage power connectors. For more information, click here.

Q2: Since the DQ35JOE board has a designated e-SATA port, is there a software, firmware, or BIOS settiing that should be set on the S5000 board to identify a particular SATA connection for use as an e-SATA connection?

A2. For the BIOS, no specific issues. Only issue is consideration for eSATA drives is when configuring a RAID environment.

Q3: If I can use one of the SATA connections on the S5000 board for e-SATA use, can you give me the part number of the cable and back slot adapter so I can purchase it for current and future server boards?

A3. No specific cable recommendations, but if you try one, we would appreciate if you get back to us on how it went. There are cable solutions available which can port an existing SATA ports to external eSATA connections, you may want to look here.

• 8. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room

I have 2 quad Xeons in each one of my HP BL680s. I have find out which procs are compatable with each other. Where

is the rev version located on the proc. do you have a picture that could be forwarded. This is kind of a witch hunt. Thanks,

jeff

• 9. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room
                          whlea

To Jeff,

The BL680 servers are using the XEON 7000 series processors. To know which one exactly, you would need to send the codes from the top of the processor.

Thanks, whlea

• 10. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room
                            whlea

Thanks for your question on the SH3200 Server Board. I did some digging and it looks like the technical documentation is incorrect in this case. The IP KVM feature is not supported. I understand the documentation will be updated to reflect that.

• 11. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room
                              Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.

Hi Intel

what software we are going to install to make vpro work?

• 12. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room
                                josh.hilliker

You can pick from a range of Software Vendors including Altiris, Microsoft, LanDesk, CA, etc.. that provide the management console capability.   Are you already using a Management Console Today.?

• 13. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room
                                  cebruns

Another follow-up to the eSATA question:

You're right - having an eSATA drive is great for backup/copy due to the higher speeds and the fact that it uses the SATA protocol to transfer, so there is no protocol conversion overhead. 

The specification for eSATA states slightly higher maximum transmission amplitudes (voltage) and slightly lower minimum detection amplitude to make up for the longer cables (2m) that can be used for eSATA.  That is why the connector is red on the DQ35J0E board and why it is not recommended for use with an internal drive.  The S5000 board doesn't use those higher/lower amplitudes, so if you use a longer external cable, with the extra shielding, you may not have a completely robust signal at the drive.  Everything may work fine, but you might be better off purchasing a PCIe plug-in card that was designed for eSATA and using that in your S5000 board.

Best Regards,

Curt

• 14. Re: Ask An Expert - The Server Room

Where can I find an explanation of why hyperthreading is not a feature of the Xeon 5160 dual core processor (currently available in the latest model of the HP ProLiant DL380 G5)?

1 2 3 Previous Next